Adaptive Springs

autocadbaby_steve

thumb.php?id=0B54_4C704FCB">thumb.php?id=0B54_4C704FCBHello Everyone :) second image works i think

Been working on this for ages and what i am looking for is an adaptive spring that will "spring" when it is in contact with something....for instance when i put a contact set on a plate (which the spring is constrained on the bottom part of the plate,,and on another plate which is the top) this spring is adaptive and so are the workplanes ..thing is it doesn't seem to want to budge when a handle contacts the top plate to squash the spring....

the spring is made by the coil command .

hope you can understand what i am trying to say...

tried a few tutorials on the internet and i can make the spring go up and down between to plates with a drive constrain but i want it to spring up and down when it has a contact with a part..is this possible?

Thanks

Steve 8)

Steve, you don't have 10 post yet so you cannot post links in the forum. Please go here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?9177-Why-should-I-register and read the restrictions concerning your membership. Then go here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?8863-How-to-add-images-to-your-posts and read up on how to post images in the forum.

I have approved your first post in this thread, but the other duplicates have been deleted.

Hi KC

Beautiful animation work.

Is there any threads / links, where you show step by step how to do it?

I'm sure it'll come handy one day.

Thanks

kencaz,

There is a ghost artifact of the block in your animation. I kind of like it. Was this intentional or not? If intentional how did you do it?

Steve, you don't have 10 post yet so you cannot post links in the forum. Please go here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?9177-Why-should-I-register and read the restrictions concerning your membership. Then go here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?8863-How-to-add-images-to-your-posts and read up on how to post images in the forum.

I have approved your first post in this thread, but the other duplicates have been deleted.

Thankyou for the information i will try and post another 3 posts to get activated ...thing is it's thinking of things to say on the posts...lo

i'll give it a go when i think of summet to say..lol

cheers

Steveo:)

Awsome !!

I will give that idea a go....

you know the amount of times i have tried to get this spring to work ....it's now driving me mad just looking at the clamp...lol

Cheers KC

kencaz,

There is a ghost artifact of the block in your animation. I kind of like it. Was this intentional or not? If intentional how did you do it?

Not intentional, probably from the screen recorder.

KC

here is a video Mark Flayer made.

I believe he said he was working on a tutorial for that. The video does walk you through it.

Well thanks for the link...thing is i aint got quick time......this is starting to become more difficult than what it's worth ...lol

Or my graphics card. I just loaded the page again and the ghost is gone.

can't help but smile at that comment JD ..you know this adaptive spring thing i am trying to suss out is causing more trouble than what it's worth!!.....lol

...you know this adaptive spring thing i am trying to suss out is causing more trouble than what it's worth!!.....lol

I'm going to have to get around to posting my method that I think is a lot easier than Mark's. The advantage to Mark's is real-time dragging in assembly. The advantage to my method is easier to set up. Less resource intensive, but only works with manual edit of parameter or animation of parameter in Inventor Studio (which is all I care about anyhow).

The other option is if you have Inventor Professional animating a spring force (creates visual spring) which is trivially easy to create and animate.

I'm going to have to get around to posting my method that I think is a lot easier than Mark's. The advantage to Mark's is real-time dragging in assembly. The advantage to my method is easier to set up. Less resource intensive, but only works with manual edit of parameter or animation of parameter in Inventor Studio (which is all I care about anyhow).

I kinda agree JD, Marks is a little more complicated and I did have a little trouble getting the WP's adaptive but after doing it once it's pretty simple... I think it depends on if you want the spring to drive the assembly as I had done in the earlier post, but marks is more real world. It's great to have both options...

Here is my example using marks method:

adaptive_coil.gif

Thanks Mark, great stuff...

spring_animate.jpg

Hey, I aim to please. :)

In the end with Inventor you have a lot of options to do similar things, but what really matters is what you are trying to convey and explain to downstream users/clients.