Pipe templates

SLW210

You can do it manually by tracing (mapping) points. It would be a lengthy process and once you'd change sizes and/or angles, you'd have to start over. A lisp programme would be the best solution though.

Since you can create them in 3D, you have the option to use FLATSHOT, or SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW/SOLPROJ, or Section Plane to create 2D blocks. (Flatshot is by far the easiest/fastest)

Here's a really quick demo of FLATSHOT.

http://www.screencast.com/t/Tr8z5M2Pp6K

David Cohn has an excellent tutorial from this year's Autodesk University on how to use all 3 tools.

Now Flatten That: Producing 2D Output from 3D Models

AU registration is free to anyone, but some of the 2010 classes are not yet available except for those on Subscription.

Here are some others from previous years that are available to everyone after registration (free)

Back to Flat: Producing 2D Output From 3D Models

Creating 2D Drawings from 3D AutoCAD® Models

Edited by nestly

Since you can create them in 3D, you have the option to use FLATSHOT, or SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW/SOLPROJ, or Section Plane to create 2D blocks. (Flatshot is by far the easiest/fastest)

Here's a really quick demo of FLATSHOT.

http://www.screencast.com/t/Tr8z5M2Pp6K

David Cohn has an excellent tutorial from this year's Autodesk University on how to use all 3 tools.

Now Flatten That: Producing 2D Output from 3D Models

AU registration is free to anyone, but some of the 2010 classes are not yet available except for those on Subscription.

Here are some others from previous years that are available to everyone after registration (free)

Back to Flat: Producing 2D Output From 3D Models

Creating 2D Drawings from 3D AutoCAD® Models

Flatshot will just flatten the 3D model, not unwrap it to form a template, and I used Solview and Soldraw to create the 2D drawings you see.

I tried and arrived to different shape than you. Check it out.

Precisely what I need, how did you get that template profile?

Precisely what I need, how did you get that template profile?

I got it by projecting, tracing and mapping points manually in various 2D views of the geometry in your drawing. To describe this in writing would take me a half a day. So, take a look at the attached drawing with step-by-step (brief) description and all the geometry in it. Feel free to ask any question as I didn't explain my reasoning behind each step there.

I was hoping that some of the lisp gurus here would jump on writing a lisp program for this but it is rather complicated I guess.

Did you actually cut the piece and tried to fit it in real world?

TemplateStepByStep.dwg

No, I knew the one I posted was not correct, I just did a quick example. That drawing you posted will be of great help. I owe you one. With all of that detailed info I should be able to come up with something later on. I want to learn .NET so this will be a good time to start, I just need to find the time.

Once again many thanks.

Most of the LISP I found only deal with 2 pipes and not pipes into ells.

I got it by projecting, tracing and mapping points manually in various 2D views of the geometry in your drawing. To describe this in writing would take me a half a day. So, take a look at the attached drawing with step-by-step (brief) description and all the geometry in it. Feel free to ask any question as I didn't explain my reasoning behind each step there.

I was hoping that some of the lisp gurus here would jump on writing a lisp program for this but it is rather complicated I guess.

That tutorial of how you retrieved your desired results is downright amazing. And unbelievably simple. You must come from the old school when it comes to drafting.

No, I knew the one I posted was not correct, I just did a quick example. That drawing you posted will be of great help. I owe you one. With all of that detailed info I should be able to come up with something later on. I want to learn .NET so this will be a good time to start, I just need to find the time.

Once again many thanks.

Most of the LISP I found only deal with 2 pipes and not pipes into ells.

You are welcome. I am glad it helped you.

That tutorial of how you retrieved your desired results is downright amazing. And unbelievably simple. You must come from the old school when it comes to drafting.

I don't really remember much about the drafting from the school. The whole thing is just a bit of an imagination and a pure logic.

• 1 month later...
Did you do it? If you did, how did it fit?

I haven't had time to automate this routine.

I did produce a template from your tutorial and handed it to the pipefitters, it fit perfect.

I haven't had time to automate this routine.

I did produce a template from your tutorial and handed it to the pipefitters, it fit perfect.

I have sent you a PM. Did you get it?