Odd? Some objects hidden by wipeout show up in print?

CalypsoArt

I still trying to get 2012 to configured like our previous version. Howcver, I noticed something odd. In several of our drawings I covered some objects with a wipeout. I then sent to the dwg to pdf driver, then printed the pdf. On screen the objects are covered, in the pdf on screen the objects are covered, but in the actual print from the pdf some of the objects are faintly visible. Weird? This did not happen

with the previous 2010 version of AC we used. The files are the same and the printer is the same.

Answers? suggestions?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• resullins

• CalypsoArt

• clepine

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah this is odd, I tried this and when I printed the pdf the wipeout frame was filled with a blue hatch. But if you have any mtext to wipeout you can turn the background mask on in the properties and it prints off just the way you see it in the pdf. I'm currently running adobe 9.4, maybe an upgrade is required?

Are the wipeouts rectangular? I found that polygonal wipeouts won't work on some printers or plotters that don't support raster images (could be OLE I'm not that technical with printer languages, someone on here told me)

I wouldn't use WIPEOUT. Here's two much better alternatives:

(1) If you change the color of a Layer or Object to True Color 255,255,255 then it creates a true RGB White color, which does not print since paper is White. In effect you've just created a mask that actually works.

(2) Open you CTB/STB Plot Style and change the Screening to 0% on a particular Color or Named Style of your choosing. This plots a "blank space" so any object using that color or plot style will create a mask as well. Kudos to rkent for this tip.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by tzframpton

We use Adobe 9.4.5 which I think is the the latest update unless moving to X. I wondered if it was a function of the printer driver. Several people here use Vectorworks, if I import a file originally created in VW and print to our large format it is fine. If I print to the printer that gives me the wipeout problem, the VW groups/blocks print solid filled black. Because of that I got in the habit of converting all drawings to PDFs and printing those as they printed correctly on all printers. It seems that the problem only shows up with PDFs sent to our XEROX Phaser. Unfortunately it was not evident in AC 2010.

"Are the wipeouts rectangular?"

Wipeouts are all shapes.

Edited by CalypsoArt

• 1 month later...
Screw using WIPEOUT. Here's two much better alternatives:

(1) If you change the color of a Layer or Object to True Color 255,255,255 then it creates a true RGB White color, which does not print since paper is White. In effect you've just created a mask that actually works.

(2) Open you CTB/STB Plot Style and change the Screening to 0% on a particular Color or Named Style of your choosing. This plots a "blank space" so any object using that color or plot style will create a mask as well. Kudos to rkent for this tip.

Hope this helps. :)

Ok... So I have a bit of a conundrum... that sort of fits this bill, but doesn't really work. I have what a conduit tag block that has one rectangle with the conduit size and type, and another, arrayable rectangle with wire fills. This way, you can pull them down and get as many rectangles as you need for your fill of wire. I have wipeouts going vertically and horizontally so that when you sit this block on top of a conduit line, you don't have to trim the line. However, since everyone I know uses a black background, changing these to a white fill makes your text unreadable. Any ideas on how to get around this? That doesn't involve me staring at a white screen all day?

Ah, this would be so simple if you used STB plot styles instead of CTB. Another reason people should switch. ;)

You can use the Transparency option. Click on the object that has the 255,255,255 color, open the Properties Palette, set the Transparency to 90, which is the max. Make sure Transparency is turned on in the drawing and problem solved.

Ah, this would be so simple if you used STB plot styles instead of CTB. Another reason people should switch. ;)

You can use the Transparency option. Click on the object that has the 255,255,255 color, open the Properties Palette, set the Transparency to 90, which is the max. Make sure Transparency is turned on in the drawing and problem solved.

Ok, I'm not even going to pretend I know what that first line means. And if I could control the way everyone in my company plots, I wouldn't have a problem. I don't have a problem with using wipeouts, but everyone else in my company does.

I didn't even think of the transparency... thanks for that! That will probably work just great!!!

It just means that STB files are far far superior to CTB files. In other words, you're not locked into a "color" for your plotting needs, so you'll never have the current issue you have since the object you want to use as a mask can be any color of your choosing, not strictly a True Color of 255,255,255.

That's all that first line means. :thumbsup:

PS: I still looooooove your avatar. MmmmmMMmmMmmmMMMmm

And I still love yours... hence why mine stays. Didn't you threaten to change yours without some Eva Mendes to keep you company?

And that almost worked... I still have one major issue though... I gotta get the "wipeout" to not blank out the objects it's touching.

You're not using an actual WIPEOUT are you? If you are, then don't. No more WIPEOUTS!! haha, okay so here's what I do, I create a HATCH using the Solid fill. I set it to a True Color of 255,255,255. Then I use the Draw Order command to put it behind everything else, then I create the block. That way the Hatch, which is the "Mask" or the "new Wipeout", never overshadows the text or other entities of the block itself, masking everything behind it.

Try that and see if it works.

Well for one I got rid of the Polyline and Hatch, since these two items were being used with a linear parameter in a Dynamic Block, and not a normal static block. So I just made a Polyline with a width of .125", then placed it where you had the Polyline and Hatch previous. Next, I associated this wide Polyline with the Array parameter instead of the Stretch parameter. I think that's where the weird display issue was coming from, since the Linear Parameter is set to stretch freely and is not incremental.

Uh.... does that make ANY sense? LOL.... ;)

Interesting. That made sense.

Now, one more question... I turned the transparency up all the way, and it works great on my computer, but my boss's computer still shows the white as WHITE! Is there a setting somewhere that ignores transparency settings?