Where to start with .Net?

Lt Dan's legs

I've tried to get into .Net but it's easier for me to make a lisp. I'm making the move now. But... Where do I begin?! :unsure:

I'm in a similar position. I prefer to use VBA but just can't seem to get going with VB.NET

I have had a few starts but each time I come back to it I have forgotten all I knew.

I struggled with this myself for (what felt like) a long time... Give me a few minutes, and I'll post some resources for you guys. :thumbsup:

Integrated Development Environment (IDE):

Visual Studio 2010 Express (Free, I have C++, C#, VB), or Visual Studio Professional (Paid)

Software Development Kit (SDK):

ObjectARX SDK for AutoCAD 2011, 2012, and 2013

AutoCAD .NET Wizards:

AutoCAD .NET Wizard, by ADN (Kean Walmsley), or AutoCAD .NET Add-in Wizard (AcadNetAddinWizard), by spiderinnet1

Article:

Why you should hold onto Visual Studio 2010 Express

... That should get you started. :beer:

As one recent example of how one can leverage .NET to enhance LISP, here's a (multi-page) thread that you may find useful, as well as informative (re: .NET):

Caps Lock

Summary:

Tim and I ended up collaborating on a combination of a .NET LispFunction Method which allowed LISP to Query, or Modify the CapsLock, NumLock, and ScrollLock Keys using a Visual LISP Command Reactor (think *Text edits, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...
Here are a couple of blogs with a good focus towards .NET programming in AutoCAD.

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/

... That last one is getting very poor/angry reviews, by those who are/have been paying for ADN support, and even by those with no ADN history, who just think Autodesk is sitting on documentation for other apps (especially verticals):

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=41522.0

I suspect that blog will turn into the most valuable resource for non-professional AutoCAD programmers. Clearly it suffered some early growing pains, Autodesk sponsored web resources often do, but it appears they have the line numbering issue, at least, sorted out.

I’ve never belonged to ADN so I don’t know what access they have. Metering development information to maximize profit would not be a surprise necessarily, but the inner working of AutoCAD is very complex, the verticals even more so. It would/will take a long time to touch on every subject.

My general game plan is to do a quick web search, enjoy whatever information I can find, but not hesitate to dive in and do the Trial and Error process myself if the search proves fruitless. The latter option tends to be the most educational anyway.

... The latter option tends to be the most educational anyway.

... There's a great deal of wisdom in your last post, Seant.