how to create a mirror in 3d?

cadmaster

hello im new to cadtutor and am stuck on trying to figure out how to create a mirror to stick on a wall in autocad. i have looked over the internet but cant seem to find anything and a lot of the stuff is old, like autocad 2004. so if anyone can help or knows a link to an instruction site, many thanks.

also im using autocad 2008 if that helps

cheers.

knows a link to an instruction site, many thanks.

How much 3D instruction have you had? Try the link in my signature - but these aren't really intended for raw beginners.

Once you get something modeled attach it here if you can't figure out how to apply a material to render.

i havent had a long time with 3d but have got the basics. i need help to apply a mirror like material but cant find it in autocad. i looked on the site but it didnt help a lot with the mirror.

thanks again.

1. Open your Materials palette and create a new material

2. Under "Type" choose "Realistic Metal"

3. Under "Template" choose "Mirror"

4. Now go back to "Type" and choose Advanced

5. Set both your "Ambient" and "Diffuse" colors to black

6. Set your "Reflection" slider to 100

That's it for a Mirror material.

1. Open your Materials palette and create a new material

2. Under "Type" choose "Realistic Metal"

3. Under "Template" choose "Mirror"

4. Now go back to "Type" and choose Advanced

5. Set both your "Ambient" and "Diffuse" colors to black

6. Set your "Reflection" slider to 100

That's it for a Mirror material.

Ah, very cool. Thanks for that.

"cad64" thank you very much. this helps a lot. Also i noticed that i have to render fo rthis to take effect, is there any way i can have this on as i am in "3dorbit".

thanks

• 1 year later...

hi...i followed the tut that you have listed above...all i get is black object. when i render it..i dont see that black object...i followed exactly step by step..any input will be appreciated.

In order to have reflection, you need to have something else in the scene to reflect. Do you have anything else in the scene other than the mirror? Place a box or a sphere or something in front of the mirror. If you followed my instructions above, you will see the object reflecting in the mirror when you render.

yes sir...i did have another object right in front of it to reflect it...

and sorry i just created new thread because i dont want to be get yelled at for hijacking the thread.

You didn't have to start a new thread, since you were responding to instructions that were posted here. You could have just continued on in this thread. Hijacking is when you post a completely different question that takes the original thread off track and disrupts the flow of the thread.

If you followed the instructions precisely, then you should have a mirror material. What color is your background? Is it black? Try changing it to a different color and try moving your objects around so they are directly in front of the mirror. Maybe they are over to the side and therefore not reflecting?

Also, you need to realize that these instructions were given for Autocad 2008, not 2010. I have not tried creating a mirror material in 2010 and this procedure may not be valid. I don't have Autocad available to me right now, so I cannot test this myself.

thanks cad64...your instructions are still valid in aca 2010...i had to change the render background color from default black to see my mirror and put color trim around the object that i was using as a mirror......

• 1 year later...

I followed the instruction given by Cad64, of crareting a mirror material - and all that I get is a black element - by the way, changing to a black colour (ambient and difuse) I just changes the three colours (red, green, blue) to "0" value, hope this is good for black here.

any way I do not get any reflection - please help

One more question - as cadmaster said he had to render for that to tale effect - what is the meaning of rendering?