Help me in gear motion simulation by CosmosMotion

mocxi

I was trying to gear mesh motion simulation by CosmosMotion (SolidWorks 2007).

a) In assembly progress, a pair of spur gear is mounted in two shafts. Gears are assembled together by gear mate and some condition mates.

b) In CosmosMotion progress, by gear mate joint, I couldn't add the motion between two gears for simulation.

Please take a look in the attachment picture

In the gear motion by CosmosMotion, Can I use this progress for Motion simulation? Anyone know about this problem, please help me

Many thanks in advance

a.pdf

Thanks for your suggest!

I am only concentrate in gear-mate which help me make Motion simulation in cosmos Motion. I am not sure another mate, but I thing it is not over constrained because in CosmosMotion progress, I suppresses all the joint mate, only keep Gear mate joint.

Have you another way to Motion simulation the gear by Cosmos Motion?

sorry i got a bit side tracked

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/maperez/Gears.zip

i setup my constraints in the assembly, then went into a motion study(sw09 doesnt have cosmos anymore) and applied a motor to one of my gears.

My constraints were concentric for the center of the gear to my plate, coincident with the face of my gear with the face of the plate and an advanced constraint using the gear option. is this what you are looking for? or do you actually need to use the motion study to show you a force plot on the gear teeth?

I have 3 parts, ( i didnt draw any pins). I have 2 concentric mates(one for each gear to its "pin" location on my plate) 2 coincident mates for the face of my gears to the face of the plate, and 1 advanced gear mate. You setup the gear constraint to move one gear when the other is moved. you setup the orientation of the gears first then apply this constraint. If i moved the gears apart so they werent touching, it would still rotate both. Does this help at all?

In fact, In my simulation, I can move and transmissive from the fist gear to the second gear as your do . But in Motion progress, I can not chose gear mate properties (Constrain/Joint/Gearmate) for adding input conditions as you see in the attachment picture. I need it for further analysis dynamic and show the force plot on the gear teeth.

ill have to play with a bit tomorrow at work. i know they changed a few things in 09 from 07 but the options should be the same. In the motion analysis you need to select advanced i think(drop down on the left above the tree). then you can add an interference and select the face of the teeth. Without having it in front of me I cant remember the exact options.

Is it possible for you to send me an assembly with just your gears in it?

alright i made a bunch of screen shots of a cam/rocker arm then i drew a helical gear set and animated fine but my SW flipped out when i tried to analyze it. anyways heres what i did.

first you need to be in motion analysis. The only constraints you want are to locate your gear on its shaft and however its located(bearings, thrust washers etc). I just constrainted them concentrically to a hole and to my plate using a coincident with two faces.

First thing i did was apply a motor to one of my gears in the direction and rpm i wanted. Then I used teh contact button to create contact between the two gears. After this you need to hit the calculate button. This should now animate your gears.

If you would like to create a plot of force or whatever you need to click on the results/plots button. You will be prompted several things. Select what you are looking for(force wise) then select the two faces you wich to analyze the contact at. This will be one single contact point(one tooth face on each gear).

This should give you a plot with your specified values. In my pictures i used the cam/rocker/valve and had a spring on the valve. Since my gear assembly didnt like the force plot.

motion.JPG

motion2.JPG

motion3.JPG

motion4.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

okay i got the gears you sent me. I drew a plate with two holes to "locate" the gears.

I used a coincident constraint with the edge of the hole on my plate with the edge of the hole on my gear. I did this because there is no hardware or anything in the model but using this plate(which i fixed) will allow me to use the motion simulation.

Make sure both of your gears are able to "float". right click on one of your gears and id you see float there, your gear is fixed and you need to click on float. If you see fix there, leave it because your gear is already floating. If either gear is fixed you will not be able to get this to work.

Once the assembly has those two constraints I start a new motion simulation just like above. Make sure you use the drop down and Motion Analysis so you can get a force plot. apply a motor to one of your gears to rotate it(just like above) and create a contact constraint(just like above).

this worked for me with your gears.