HP DJ 510 plotting issue - wasting paper

Galingula

We just got one. We've tried what we think to be everything, and we can't get it to plot E1 landscape properly. No matter what we do it automatically rotates it so on a 42" roll it plots portrait. This happens with E1 PDFs as well.

Any one have any suggestions?

Check your drawing limits don't exceed the plotters printable area, also use the "autorotate" function on the plotters setup to save paper?

We'e tried auto rotate on and off with a bunch of other settings. Haven't checked the limits, but 30x42 PDFs don't print either.

at a guess I'd say you'll have a bother persuading a 42" plot onto 42" paper, as that doesn't leave room for any margins, which the plotter will no doubt require

at a guess I'd say you'll have a bother persuading a 42" plot onto 42" paper, as that doesn't leave room for any margins, which the plotter will no doubt require

My HP 450C was a 36" plotter that plotted D sheets in landscape.

I would be shocked if an HP 42" plotter couldn'e plot E1 sheets in landscape

We have plotting problems with our HP 4500. We've changed evey setting five times, and still never get it right. It just does strange things every once and a while. When it works, it produces great plots.

My HP 450C was a 36" plotter that plotted D sheets in landscape.

I would be shocked if an HP 42" plotter couldn'e plot E1 sheets in landscape

I wouldn't - plotters are temperamental beasts - or so it seems, but the old adage applies somewhere along the lines in about 95% of cases - GIGO... it's just a case of figuring out why it thinks you're feeding it garbage, and as mentioned above, it's usually to do with margins and limits, and if it isn't, it's often a driver update that's required

can you persuade your plotter to plot a line right the way across your page without leaving a couple of mm clearance at the edge of the page (just out of curiosity)?

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone,

The solution is with the paper size. For any plotter to correctly interpret a papersize, it must be set to an ANSI standard. Any other version of any specific paper size won't necessarily have the margins set correctly, therefore if you are sending a 24x36 plot to a 36" roll, not using an ANSI size, the margins might make your drawings actual plot size slightly larger than the roll, which is when AutoCAD automatically rotates the drawings so the entire sheet will plot, causing a need for cutting the excess paper off of each drawing. If you have any questions, send me an email, good luck!

Pat