3d Curved stair

qball

I made this curved stair model. I'm fairly new to the 3d, but I thought I'd toss this in here in case it helps someone.

Step 1: plan view

Step 2: copied the plan view multiple times x riser height. 3DPOLYLINE the treads and risers each side (red and blue). Then connected each side with LOFT

Step 3: slicing planes by extruding lines from plan view.

Step 4: sliced a box with surface planes.

Step 5: sliced the new box with the lofted stairs. I originally had a problem slicing. Remember to make the slicing plane slice completely through the solid.

Step 6: end product.

step 1.GIF

step 2.jpg

step 3.jpg

step 4.GIF

step 5.jpg

step 6.GIF

I made this curved stair model. I'm fairly new to the 3d, but I thought I'd toss this in here in case it helps someone.

Step 1: plan view

Step 2: copied the plan view multiple times x riser height. 3DPOLYLINE the treads and risers each side (red and blue). Then connected each side with LOFT

Step 3: slicing planes by extruding lines from plan view.

Step 4: sliced a box with surface planes.

Step 5: sliced the new box with the lofted stairs. I originally had a problem slicing. Remember to make the slicing plane slice completely through the solid.

Step 6: end product.

hey thanks i never knew it before... thanks...:D cheersss

nice stuff, never thought of that.. and something from me..it s basic stuff but combined and with some extra touch..

dailyautocad.com/3d/3d-roof-drawing-exercise/

• 2 years later...

Thanks qball. I got the curved staircase but how do I slice off the bottom portion of the stairs with like 6" thickness? Right now it is looking as though the entire staircase is starting from the floor level.

Another way to do this is create a plan view and use PRESSPULL on each of the steps to raise them to the height you need it.

(Just realized that this thread is a couple years old. THREAD NECROMANCY!!!)

Done that a couple times myself. It's easy to get caught up in it if you're browsing around and find something interesting. Ain't the worst thing that can happen by a long shot!

Thanks qball. I got the curved staircase but how do I slice off the bottom portion of the stairs with like 6" thickness? Right now it is looking as though the entire staircase is starting from the floor level.

I think I did a 3d polyline along the vertices of the stair treads / risers. Then lowered it. You might be able to make it a spline to smooth it out.

Moving in the z direction won't give you the actual throat thickness of 6" though. You would have to get your UCS to match your rise / run, then move the 3dPoly in that direction.

Are your stairs concrete?

Just to make you drool a full 3d spiral stair case single centre pole about 5 seconds !

How did I do it. like above you make 1 single tread and copy rotate and move in z plane. A lisp does that part, the stair includes a true spiral hand rail this is not that hard to make what you have to do is have an inclinded UCS then create an arc along which you extrude the hand rail it takes a little bit of common sense maths radius's twist angle etc but its really easy.

For a company we worked for we did S bend stairs they looked fantastic.

I am having trouble posting images else would show final result etc

I saw this thread and the method the method used by qball to create the stair, so I thought to give it a try in another way :)

Here what I did:

First I created two circles and arrayed lines, just to find the good shape of the curved stair.

1.jpg

Then I trimmed extra lines,

2.JPG

Then I took one step only, made a region, extruded the step and made a "wall" to the step, so that I have one solid step.

3.JPG

After that I arrayed the steps in similar pattern as the stairs in the first image.

4.JPG

The steps now are in the right place, but they are in flat plane, so I moved up the single stairs one by one.

5.jpg

The stairs are now ready, Using spline tool I made the hand rail, because it is very difficult (at leat for me!) to make it with simple arc.

6.jpg

And here is the final render, after adding some material and lights

stairs.png