Locate Google Coordinates

kool130

hello guys,

Help please.

How can I locate 25deg 17min 26sec N 51deg 31min 07sec E in the drawing? These coordinates were from Google.

I convert them to degrees and gives me 25.9055N 51.318611E. Am I doing it right?

Thankx....

If you are going to draw in metre units, then you must get your coordinates in metres. You cannot draw in degrees, especially as one degree in Latitude is not the same length on the ground as one degree in Longitude (except at the Equator).

Your conversion is not quite right, but never mind about that. When you are in Google Earth, go to the Tool tab on the top line, then go to Options and look at the 3D View tab. On that page there is a section "Show Lat/Long" and you check the box against "Universal Transverse Mercator", then apply that and go back to the map. Your coordinates on the bottom left of the screen will now be shown in metre units - 39R 552209.61E 2797222.17N. The first set of figures is the number of the Universal Transverse Mercator zone (there are 60 of these), the next set of figures is the Easting (x) coordinate in metres and the final set of figures is the Northing (y) coordinate in metres.

Note the order of the coordinates. It is Easting before Northing when giving metre coordinates, but Northing before Easting with Latitude and Longitude. Don't ask why, but that is the way most people use them. Try not to confuse folk by quoting them the wrong way round. :shock:

Hi eldon,

I did follow your instructions and it's great and interesting!! but one question, how did you able to lock on the exact coordinates?

I will plot this now to the base map using 552209.61E 2797222.17N coordinates.

Same goes with you chulse.

Thanks and Peace out

I went to your original Latitude and Longitude when the display units were in LAt & Long (this puts a marker on the map). Then I changed the units to display metre units and placed the pointer as near as I could to the marker.

When you have good resolution images, you can place your pointer almost to the centimetre.

Your original coordinates were quoted to the nearest second. One second is about 28 metres on the ground, so for more accuracy quote more decimal places :D

There are web sites which can convert Latitude and Longitude to metres in the Universal Transverse Mercator system, but it is far more fun doing it in Google Earth