Sum of Updatable Areas

Attila The Gel

Hi all.

I've been working on this file. "see attach".

And I was wondering if there was a faster way to achieve what I did here?

I created polylines which mark building area's. Then I inserted fields that specifies the area in m² (Field>object>Selected polyline>Area>...). Then made a Table and some fields with formulas to sum the total in square meters in a Legend

When I want to add or edit some areas and then regenerate every ting go's without a problem!

So my question is, is there a better way to do this because it take some time to insert all the fields?

thx

Auto_Area_Update_metric.dwg

• 1 month later...

The only way I know is to use one of teh verticals like AutoCAD Architecture which have objects like Spaces and Space Tags that do this automatically.

But I have to say, if I ever have to work back on Plain AutoCAD, I am bookmarking your method as a great solution.

Why not try the macro recorder, create one area with all steps.

You can then edit the macro to allow you to pick the pline and approx centre point for field as well as table position, you have to edit the macro manually otherwise it will always give you the same polygon. Just repeat macro else search forum someone may have a lisp for this.

I thought that nobody cared :cry: about this.

But I have to say, if I ever have to work back on Plain AutoCAD, I am bookmarking your method as a great solution.

Thx!

Why not try the macro recorder, create one area with all steps.

I'll try the macro record when I get to ACAD 2009 installed by MIT at the end of this moth.

I know some co-cad-software that can do these thing but I would prefer to keep it in autocad because I only need it for area calculation. like in the attachment.

I was also hoping to see a LISP routine pass through.

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody!

Is there any lisp or quick way to get the area from a closed polyline in to the clipboard memory?

I want something like this: click on a polyline and then just the press paste in another application.

Thank you in advance!

don't know about lisp stuff but you can quickly get the area by typing cmd: 'area' then press 'o' for object and this will put the area details in your command line where you can then select and copy the details.

for better answers you should have made a new post for your question. This way you could get more reactions I think.

Thanks Attila The Gel

I am new, and I didn't found the new post/threat button. Perhaps I don't have access yet due the small number of posts?

Anyway I know the area command but I was looking for some lisp routine to get this value and automatically put it into the clipboard.