How to create a template

TheNewGuy

Ok it is Monday morning and I have another question. I am noticing that the default text style in the standard acad.dwt template in 2009 is not going to work for me, as well as the dimension style. So how do I create a custom template that saves all those settings for me. So that when I start a new drawing I can select my template that I created and all those customizations that I have made will be brought up automaticly. I have searched the help file a little but I don't find the 2009 help file as helpfull as 2002. So... anyone want to help me...it would be greatly appriciated!

Ok it is Monday morning and I have another question. I am noticing that the default text style in the standard acad.dwt template in 2009 is not going to work for me, as well as the dimension style. So how do I create a custom template that saves all those settings for me. So that when I start a new drawing I can select my template that I created and all those customizations that I have made will be brought up automaticly. I have searched the help file a little but I don't find the 2009 help file as helpfull as 2002. So... anyone want to help me...it would be greatly appriciated!

Open a new drawing. Add the Text Styles, Dimension Styles, and anything else you want to have available when you open this particular drawing. When it is the way you want it, do a Save As > AutoCAD Template (*.dwt) file. Everytime you open this drawing it will be there. :)

Oh and for better access, type STARTUP and change it to 1. Then go to Options > Files tab > Template Settings > Drawing Template File Location and put the path in where you will save all your own custom templates. That way every time you open AutoCAD or start a new drawing it will be easily accessable. :)

Thank you for your quick reply. I did as you said and It worked like a charm.:D Thanks again for all your help.

• 5 months later...