how to make an gear

filjoa

Hi

I like know how I can make an gear in 2D, some one can help me?

some like that but in 2D:

disli-8.gif

some one can help me?

I have try make two circles and with array try divide two circles, but I don't know I use array correct..

kind regards.

Welcome to CADTutor filjoa.

Gears have been a topic of past conversations. Everyone has their own way of constructing one. You are on the right track though. The use of the ARRAY command, POLAR option, is the way to go. Try something simple like contructing one tooth and using ARRAY > POLAR place it around the four quadrant points of a circle. With that success move on to calculating the correct number of teeth and work that into the ARRAY command. The TRIM command will come in handy too.

Might I also suggest the following with regards to the "master" tooth you use for the array. Make this a continuous polyline as it will definitely help.

There is more than one way to draw a gear. Someone else will come along with another way and/or suggestions to improve upon what I have suggested.

Glad to have you join us. Stick around and join in the conversations.

I just tried real quick, its took three circles, the array command and trim.

1st create your inner circle then offset it to the distance you want to the inner part of the grear teeth, then offset that to the distance you want the outer set of the teeth

2nd draw a line from a quadrant on the outermost circle to the equivilant qadrant on the middle circle

3rd start you array. select polar array select the line you just drew as your object, select 360 as your angle to fill select the center point of your circle, and choose a number for total number of items (double the amount of teeth you need if you know or divide the circumfrence by how wide the teeth need to be)

select preview if it looks like a bunch of lines going between your outermost circle and your middle circle your on the right track

4th start the trim command and select all the lines (not the circles - i did this by selecting everything including the circles then unselecting the circles) press enter, now on your outermost circle start selecting every other section of circle between the lines, after your finished do the same to the inner circle but on the opposite lines, below is an image of what i got

gear.JPG

A search on google will turn up several gear.lsp files. If you need help using a lisp file see the tutorials and/or FAQ on this most excellent web site.

First draw one the old fashioned way. Then go out and find, download and use a gear Lisp routine and save yourself a bunch of time and effort and impress your boss with the speed with which you draw a gear. Finally, ask for a raise.

Hi

thanks for this reception for all users

with this help now I know how make my gear, thanks:)

one more question...

is possible on AutoCAD2009 put all projections in black instead gray?

I know put this on 2D but in 3D when I put view on TOP I don't know how I put this with black brackgraund.

kind regards

To get a black background in model space or in 3D projection, under the Menu Browser (the big red A) click on Tools > Options > Display and then on the Colors button. Look on the left under Context and pick what you want to change. Then look to the far right under Color and select a color from the drop-down list. When finished click on the Apply & Close button at the bottom of the dialog window. Does this accomplish what you want?