Read only

MisterJingles

Hi guys

I dont expect there is but I thought Id ask anyway, is there a way to send your .dwg file to someone while not allowing them to alter it, plot it and issue it as though it came from you?

I usually just issue them the drawing as a PDF but wondered if Autocad had a function with which to do it?

Regards

Rob

Unless a client is known and trusted, send the drawing in *.pdf file format.

If you do send a *.dwg file via email, the read only attribute might be removed during the file transfer. Regardless, most locked drawings can be worked around (unlocked).

If given them the dwg file is the only alternative you can add a disclaimer to the file to protect yourself. Also send it with a memo with the disclaimer which will hold them liable. Although sending DWF files is a great way to go. They are much smaller than PDF's and the Design Review software is free to anyone and they can be measured, marked up, etc.

A disclaimer to protect your intellectual property doesn't always work.

Send the *.pdf file. I don't think *.dwg or *.dwf files are much smaller than the *.pdf files. The *.pdf files are close, usually just slightly larger sometimes.

The *.pdf files are usually smaller in size (bytes). I don't like the Design Review, not enough time spent with this add on.

Ok Ill stick to the PDFs. Thanks .

Just on this, from time to time I receive drawings which I need to work on and when opening the drawing I get a "read only" message, yet Im still able to work as per usual on the drawing.

What is the purpose of that message?

It is probably an attempt from the owner of the drawing to keep you from editing in his drawing. Not very efficient though since you can save an exact copy or remove the red-only-thing by right-clicking on the DWG, click Properties and simply un-tick the read-only-box.

And to be really negative - with Adobe Pro you can alter a PDF as well if you really want to. So send a drawing on paper instead :)

then you can scan it to a PDF though...

And to be really negative - with Adobe Pro you can alter a PDF as well if you really want to. So send a drawing on paper instead :)

then you can scan it to a PDF though...

or get a CAD Monkey to trace it for you

To what lengths would you go to edit a drawing created in PDF format?

Just saying that even if sending a PDF is much more secure than sending a DWG, a persistent person can still use it ways that you wouldn't want them to.

Ok Tiger Ive tossed my PCs in the bin and am back to the drawing board. Thanks for the advice ;)

Seriously though, I also heard you can get a program which scans PDFs and puts them into a dwg. That could be helpful couldnt it?

Ok Tiger Ive tossed my PCs in the bin and am back to the drawing board. Thanks for the advice ;)

Seriously though, I also heard you can get a program which scans PDFs and puts them into a dwg. That could be helpful couldnt it?

perfect mate :)

There are programs that do that, there are a few mentionen in threads around this place. But it depends on so much if it turns out good and usable.