scaled design for lights

AFitchguy07

a buddy and i are attempting to put a symbol on our roof traced in led tubing for a xmas decoration. We have the image we're replicating and i have got the angles of the one on image and wanted to basically replicate it via autocad to get the exact dimensions. We have wire we're going to cut out in lengths of what we will need for final scale that goes on roof, and plan to staple them down. then trace over then with led tubing to make the image.

basically i used autocad 04 back in school and never kept up with it but now i wish i had. one of the fist issues im having is trying to draw the edges of the roof. for ex we have a 17.5' edge *2 and a about a 25' edge. I can't seem to figure out how to make a triangle with those dimensions.

it should be pretty simple project as all i am using is the basic tools because it's nothing but lines.

or is there a way i can copy the image into autocad and place it on the roof are i desire it and then have autocad automatically measure the vectors and such of each part of the design and then calculate the distance in full scale?

any help would be highly appreciated

If I understand your question, you can draw a 25' line at 0 degrees (turn ortho on at bottom of screen). Then draw a circle at each endpoint with a radius of 17.5', then draw lines where they intersect. Use the osnap settings for endpoint and intersection, also set at bottom of screen, a button for osnaps.

I can only imagine operator error. Draw the horizontal line, place a dim and then proceed from there. If it changes you will know right away. Set dimaso to 1 or dimassoc to 2. I don't remember when dimaso went away and dimassoc came in to play, this will keep the dim associated with the line so if it changes length the dim will reflect that.

I can only imagine operator error. Draw the horizontal line, place a dim and then proceed from there. If it changes you will know right away. Set dimaso to 1 or dimassoc to 2. I don't remember when dimaso went away and dimassoc came in to play, this will keep the dim associated with the line so if it changes length the dim will reflect that.

i noticed on the pdf you sent, the x and y indicators weren't there.. how do you get the image you made small enough to not go past the x/y indicators?

also i don't know what you mean by dimassoc and dimaso.. i assume dim is dimension. and im not sure how to do that 100% but i saw the button up top and can play with it or view tutorial on it. im sure it's simple as click dim then click object or the two endpoints.

attached is the logo that we are replicating. Focus on the R and not the GSX so much. We want the top of the R to fall along about mid way down from vertex. Most importantly we want it to be in same proportion as the small image and that's where i get a little confused. We are outlining the red areas of the R so there will be two pieces to the R. The bottom left (smallest) and the other part that is the biggest piece.

Please don't think i am asking you to do it for me, i am just asking how to put that logo onto autocad in respective dimensions.

Also, i assume i need to use circles on a different layer other than layer "0"..

25jca3m.gif

AFitchguy07;288521]i noticed on the pdf you sent, the x and y indicators weren't there.. how do you get the image you made small enough to not go past the x/y indicators?

also i don't know what you mean by dimassoc and dimaso.. i assume dim is dimension. and im not sure how to do that 100% but i saw the button up top and can play with it or view tutorial on it. im sure it's simple as click dim then click object or the two endpoints.

attached is the logo that we are replicating. Focus on the R and not the GSX so much. We want the top of the R to fall along about mid way down from vertex. Most importantly we want it to be in same proportion as the small image and that's where i get a little confused. We are outlining the red areas of the R so there will be two pieces to the R. The bottom left (smallest) and the other part that is the biggest piece.

Please don't think i am asking you to do it for me, i am just asking how to put that logo onto autocad in respective dimensions.

Also, i assume i need to use circles on a different layer other than layer "0"..

The DIMASO and DIMASSOC are two settings/commands you can type at the command line and then set to 1 or 2 repectively. Dim does mean dimension.

I inserted the image (in 2010 you use the xref function), scaled it close to what I want and then traced over it. Then I would go in and add arcs with fillet, etc. Finally use the SCALE command to get it the right size, move it to correct location, etc.

The x-y icon is called the UCSICON and I keep it on and draw away from the 0,0 origin point.

You could use a different layer, usually a good idea even for something like this.

gsxr.dwg

when i curve the corners with fillet, can i still calculate the ang degree?

i'm still reading through the dim tutorial which is lengthy trying to figure out how to make the dim appear. i played with it and didn't get it to work.. it just created a box haha

i need to figure out the move tool before i can move the R around. Trying to cram for a semester final is a breeze compared trying to cram all the basics i need to make this work within autocad.

when i curve the corners with fillet, can i still calculate the ang degree?

i'm still reading through the dim tutorial which is lengthy trying to figure out how to make the dim appear. i played with it and didn't get it to work.. it just created a box haha

i need to figure out the move tool before i can move the R around. Trying to cram for a semester final is a breeze compared trying to cram all the basics i need to make this work within autocad.

You can use the dimension toolbar and pick the dimang command, then pick two straight segements of the polyline.

Move command is basic, start move by typing or using toolbar button, pick all the pieces you want to move, enter, pick a starting point, pick an ending point. If you want to immediately move it more, hit the space bar to start the last command (in this case MOVE), type P (for previous selection set), enter, starting point, ending point.

it says pick start origin then end point then pick dimension line point or something like that and then it draws out with my mouse and i click and it just makes a solid line box... i followed tutorial to the T

*EDIT*

well i figured out what is causing it to not show right; scaling. But that wasn't covered within the tutorials i came across and haven't been able to figure it out.