Crosshair flicker, video driver - problem

bograd

I am running Windows XP with a Geforce FX 5600 video card. I have the default FX 5600 driver from the windows xp's installation.

Everything was fine until a few day ago when i decided to install the updated driver from nvidia. After that i noticed that the crosshair cursor from AutoCAD (crosshair size is 100) "flickers" when i movit it around. It was like the crosshair wah redrawn at every single move. It was very annoing.

I rolled back the standard windows driver and it was fine.

What could possible be in the new drivers that couses this ? Maybe a setting in the driver somewhere ? Has anyone encounterded this problem ?

I think you solved your own problem. A buggy video card driver is not uncommon. Yes, I've seen the problem in the past but not very often.

aye, you were right to roll back your driver, i had this problem with not only CAD but 3D studio Max. Done this and it worked fine. Not sure of the cause of it, just knew i fixed it :D

But what if for any reason you need to have the latest video driver installed ?

That's why i was wondering about the cause of this problem.

The only way to know if you need the latest driver would be to compare any Readme.txt files that explain what the updates address. Do they fix a problem? Do they add functionality you did not have. Don't update a driver just for the sake of doing so.

I understand your feeling re: the latest driver. But if it is fluky and irrates you then obviously you are going to come to hate it whenever you use AutoCAD.

• 3 months later...

It's best to always update your video driver through the Autodesk site as it shows was has been tested, certified and what is supported. I've always had bad luck when updating the driver directly from the specific manufacturers site. The most current driver isn't necessarily the best driver in the case of Autodesk products I've found.