Laptop specs acceptable?

MisterJingles

Would the following specs on a Laptop PC be suitable for running Autocad if I would be doing 2d work only?

Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook

Pentium ® Dual-core CPU T4200 @ 2.00ghz

RAM 2.00gb

32 bit

Windows Vista SP 1

Regards

Does the laptop have a dedicated graphics card? If not, no matter what you're doing the onboard, integrated chip will at some point be required to "borrow" memory from physical RAM. Speaking of which, I'd bump that up to a minimum of 3GB.

Please forgive my ignorance but would the following describe the Graphics card?

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Point taken RE ram. Thanks ReMark.

I realise that notebooks are not as functional as a desktop but is it really as limiting as I have been led to believe?

I am toying between a notebook and desktop but would really like the mobility a notebook offers, but not if its really that difficult to work on Autocad.

I think I would have a problem with a notebook just due to screen size. I like a lot of realestate (i.e.-large display). I'm running a desktop with a 21" monitor hoping someday to bump up to a 24" or 26". If I went to a notebook I would feel I was trying to draw on a postage stamp.

Remember that it is a "low priced" laptop and you get (or don't get) what you pay for. These are the graphics chips offered:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

NVIDIA GeForce 8200M GE

I'm not impressed with either but then again I demand more of my computer. You may be perfectly happy with it. What is your max budget on this? Don't cheap out and regret having done so later. I'm also not a big fan of Vista.

The CAD work I do is not terribly demanding on a PC and working on a smaller screen is a worthy sacrifice for the freedom to work anywhere I want to.

Basically Im comparing personal preference now I think. Is that really all it comes down to in this instance or is there something to this notebook that would make running CAD a problem? (aside from increasing the RAM)

Could I do without another graphics card if Im just working in 2D?

When finances allow, I will get a good desktop too. For now Im still new to Autocad so a PC like this may be sufficient.

Thanks for all the help.

Oh to answer your question. Funding is a bit of an issue at the moment so I really need a PC to last me 1 year or so.

Is your opinion of Vista a matter of preference or does it have any issues with Autocad?

Is your opinion of Vista a matter of preference or does it have any issues with Autocad?

I decided to go with Vista x64 for my new computer but I don't really recommend it. Everything is working now, but I had a lot of problems getting some programs to run on it. I also had to find and disable the annoying pop-up warnings that would display every time I tried to open a non-microsoft program. I'm not running Autocad on this machine though, so I can't comment on whether there are any issues with it. But if you're planning on running 2007 on it, you may encounter some problems.

I will probably switch to the new Windows 7, once it's officially released and proven to be stable. :wink:

After reading more on the topic of Laptop vs Desktop Ive decided to go for a desktop. Whilst the mobility is a bonus, for the next year or so its not much of an issue. Also, my budget allows for a decent desktop but a pretty average laptop so that speaks for itself.

Im looking at the following...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.6ghz

2gb DDR2 Ram (plus an additional 2gb)

320gb SATA2 Hard Drive

Intel G31 Chipset Motherboard

Intel GMA 3100 Graphics

19" Flat screen monitor (LG or HP. Any difference?)

I will run XP

Anything I should change there? Or will that be sufficient?

I dont know much about hardware so any help is appreciated.

A better graphics card will come later when I move into 3D

Regards

Rob

• 1 month later...

Owning several residences, only one has desktop PC's (three of 'em).

The others have setup Thinkpad™ laptops, XP Pro.

ALL run AutoCAD '05 or '07, ALL run fine! Never skip a beat.

Have owned almost any PC known except those I have had built for me at a local

PC repair shop. The IBM Thinkpad's are Intel Pentium Mobil chips, desktops have been AMD and/or Intel. All have run AutoCAD without skipping a beat.

I would love to have a Thinkpad™ DS laptop. Wow!

A 17" screen is a bit large for portability but, I'll take one!

I have had numerous laptops, personally rate the Thinkpad™ laptops #1.

Run AutoCAD never missing a beat! Send me one and I'll put it through the test and promptly report, honestly, the results!

'Cause all run excellent, AutoCAD, I don't quite get the problems(?). Am I doin' something wrong?

All run well with 2 GB memory but, of course, I'm not rendering and not using M$ Vista.

All using XP Pro Service Pack 3 with all the available updates.

My CAD work is always 2D, plan and elevation views.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...00957242FCF7F8

It's your money and your computer but I still don't recommend integrated graphics chips for anyone doing CAD related work.