Tube Miter Script

TenSecond408

I’ve addressed a couple of the issues with the first routine. If you get a chance, give it a test drive and let me know about any problems.

The wall thickness situation is next to get attention. As a general question; is this type of pipe cutting usually done by band saw (specifically, cutting straight through)? The alternate would be via a jigsaw with a blade smaller than the diameter of the pipe. The two methods would require a different curve projection to achieve the correct contour for the inner radius.

For that matter, is the wall thickness of the pipe thin enough (with respect to the diameter) that compensating for it would not really amount to much?

When cutting the pipe from one of these templates I usually use a band saw and get the basic cuts done. I then use a hand held grinder to grind clearance on the inside diameter so the miter sits real nice on the uncut tube. Usually the wall thickness is about .065" so its not that critical, but these last pipes i was doing was 1.125 dia. x .155" wall so i had to clearance and radius inside a lot to get it to fit nicely. The program seems to work very good now, i havnt been able to find any other issue yet. Thanks again.

-AJ

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TenSecond408

• SEANT

• David Bethel

• Tromto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When cutting the pipe from one of these templates I usually use a band saw and get the basic cuts done. I then use a hand held grinder to grind clearance on the inside diameter so the miter sits real nice on the uncut tube. Usually the wall thickness is about .065" so its not that critical, but these last pipes i was doing was 1.125 dia. x .155" wall so i had to clearance and radius inside a lot to get it to fit nicely. The program seems to work very good now, i havnt been able to find any other issue yet. Thanks again.

-AJ

I plan to have the routine determine “rail to rail” spacing by the inside edge of the “Cut Tube”. Consequently, any subsequent grinding would be applied to the outside edge. I thought that would generally be an easier grinding task – let me know if that’s true or not.

I’ve got a good game plan to map this critical inside geometry to the appropriate outside geometry for a through cut (i.e., band saw). I’ll post that as soon as I commit it to code.

I plan to have the routine determine “rail to rail” spacing by the inside edge of the “Cut Tube”. Consequently, any subsequent grinding would be applied to the outside edge. I thought that would generally be an easier grinding task – let me know if that’s true or not.

I’ve got a good game plan to map this critical inside geometry to the appropriate outside geometry for a through cut (i.e., band saw). I’ll post that as soon as I commit it to code.

Just trying to understand this, so your wanting to make it so instead of measuring centers of the two uncut tubes, you measure the distance between the two uncuts? Either way would be fine, but you are correct it is easier to grind that outside edge.

-AJ

• 4 months later...

Your script is written for DeltaCAD not AutoCAD. I have tested it with the DeltaCAD Demo and it works just fine. Just rename it to tubemiter.bas and run it from the Options > Macro > Run menu of DeltaCAD software.

• 2 years later...

I have been struggling with this issue for weeks using Acad2012, Win 7.

To draw the cope end I subtract one tube from the other, this creates a taper from wall thickness t at the intersection of the inner tube face to zero at the intersection of the outer wall face. This loss of wall thickness is not ideal. To get rid of this less than full thickness material I create a slicing plane through intersection of non-cut tube 1 and the inner wall of the tube to be cut, I establish this point by drawing a 2D cross section.

I realise this a bit of a hack and it never works out spot on as the slicing plan never seems to match exactly the intersection point of the 3D tube inner wall.

I have tried to get a work around. ie:

- drawing a tube inner radius only subtracting from that then shelling-this only re creates the taper.

-offsetting the intersection edge of the inner wall and trying to project onto outer at 90deg-this does not offset correctly due to the complex geometry.

Capture.jpg

I was hoping the COPE file from SEANT may answer my problems but this will not load generating the error shown at the bottom of this post.

If anyone can provide me some help with the following I would be really grateful:

1. How to create a mitre maintaining full wall thickness. 90 degree intersections.

2. How to create a mitre maintaining full wall thickness. Non 90 degree intersections.

3. How to create a mitre maintaining full wall thickness. Tubes angled in 2 planes ie: for triangular space truss.

4. How to create a mitre maintaining full wall thickness. Tubes angled in 2 planes centres lines not coincident ie internal members offset to enable 2/3 to meet at same node.

5. How to deal with the above when using non round tubes.

6. How to fix the netload error for the cope routine.

Command: NETLOAD

Cannot load assembly. Error details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not

load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Users\tony

jenkins.EAS\Documents\EA\Release_1\TubeCope.dll' or one of its dependencies.

Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)

File name: 'file:///C:\Users\tony

jenkins.EAS\Documents\EA\Release_1\TubeCope.dll' --->

System.NotSupportedException: An attempt was made to load an assembly from a

network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in

previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of the .NET Framework

does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load may be dangerous. If this

load is not intended to sandbox the assembly, please enable the

loadFromRemoteSources switch. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569

for more information.

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String

codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint,

StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean

forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName

assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean

forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile,

Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm

hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks,

StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)

at Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime.ExtensionLoader.Load(String fileName)

at loadmgd()

Capture.jpg