Vray

herdy1212

Hello all,

I'm still very new to 3d max and i'm still learning the ropes with this program. I am currently reading up on forums and tutorials where ever I can and I keep seeing 1 particular word that keeps coming up time and time again...Vray.

Is this rendering engine worth getting?

I am using 3d max for work purposes and I am trying to learn the best possible paths to take to achieve the realistic look that ive seen time and time again using 3d max.

at the moment all im doing is really modeling then adding materials and chucking some lights into the scene and hitting "render".

I suppose I am fortunate that with the clients we are dealing with have never really heard of 3d max or even seen what it can do, so they think its amazing when they see that renders that are being produced. Although after seeing what 3d max can really do i just feel there is something that im missing.

I'm sure what im posting is very vague and nothing really specific at this point, besides the vray question.

Any help ot advice is appreciated.

Chris

Vray produces very nice renders, but Max ships with Mental Ray, which in my opinion, is every bit as good as Vray in terms of render quality. But if you're just throwing together a scene and hitting render, then you are probably just using the default Scanline renderer. Try switching to the Mental Ray renderer and play around with it for a while. It can produce very photo-realistic images, once you learn the in's and out's and you know what you're doing.

Switching to the Mental Ray renderer instead of the Scanline will make your renders way better! Best is to set up your system so that it uses this renderer at all times, because that enables different available materials as well in your material editor.

Customize\Customize User Interface\ and then select the left-bottom option, I think it's called something like DesignVIZ or something... While your in that screen you might want to select ame-dark as a default setting as well for a much better looking interface.