Carlson Software

dlcratty

VBA is still emulated in 64bit from what I heard.
Yes, and it runs about 10X slower, basically it's just a crutch to allow users a bit more time to port to .NET.

And Civil 3D 2008 has a VBA to ALL of their objects.

...and C3D 2008 is 2-1/2 years old. Is the _current_ version 100% supported in VBA? I don't know the answer, but it really doesn't matter since there has been no reason to develop using VBA for a while now.

Since there is a VBA download for AutoCAD 2010 (right?), I assume it would exist for Civil 3D 2010 as well.

It actually comes with C3D, no download needed.

As far as points are concern, when I moved a point in LDD or a demo of Civil 3D an arrow pointed to the x,y AND THE NORTHING AND EASTING REMAIN THE SAME.

Again, it is far to easy for Carlson points within a drawing to differ from the external file. As far as settings for reactors (point links), I can't speak for everyone in my office. Compnay standards? Yes and lol.

There are pros and cons to both methods. If your C3D drawing crashes and you lose a few hours of point manipulation, the Carlson user has those edits saved in the CRD file, from which the drawing can be easily recreated.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KJB

• dent

• rkmcswain

• dlcratty

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if VBA was 10X slower it would still suit needs. If I needed speed I would probably go in the direction of ObjectArx. But for the moment my complier is too old to support ObjectArx, MSVC++ 6.0 for 2000i ARX (Please don't laugh).

It sound as if I been in a rut though, is VB .net a freebie?

As far as points, I am very good at saving and would only lose a half a hour at best. If I didn't save for hours, would the autosave help?

Also, points are just one of many dislikes I have with Carlson. I've been using it for six months and my opinion hasn't change. If anything, I like it even less. I read how stable and great of a software Carlson is by other resources. And I found flaws and errors that Carlson has either fixed or are in the process of fixing.

Just today, I found the flaw that when I create a surface and Carlson prompts that it is going to overwrite the TIN file, bogus data may result. BUT if I manually delete the TIN file and create the surface everything is okay.

The 30 days I spent with Civil 3D 2008 were the bomb. I am particularly bias because I have a couple programs that produce FBK files. Carlson uses RW5 files for batch processing and even then it is a little quirky.

VBA is still emulated in 64bit from what I heard. And Civil 3D 2008 has a VBA to ALL of their objects. Since there is a VBA download for AutoCAD 2010 (right?), I assume it would exist for Civil 3D 2010 as well. Also, I didn't mean to condemn LISP, I actually used it to boot my VBA macros. But you can't argue the fact that a userform is 1,000 times easier to work with than a DCL file.

As far as points are concern, when I moved a point in LDD or a demo of Civil 3D an arrow pointed to the x,y AND THE NORTHING AND EASTING REMAIN THE SAME.

Yes this happens when you have the "allow points to be moved" turned OFF. In LDD you can move the points and have the coordinate file automatically update or you can rotate or move stuff and have the file update only when you export the points. Carlson has the same options. The points do not just move themselves, at least I have never seen this happen.

Again, it is far to easy for Carlson points within a drawing to differ from the external file. As far as settings for reactors (point links), I can't speak for everyone in my office. Compnay standards? Yes and lol.

The points do not differ unless YOU moved them. At least that's the way my copy does it. I use LDD as much as I use Carlson. I have used LDD since it was AutoCad 14 with Softdesk 8. I do prefer Autocad's points, but I am getting used to Carlson points and have learned how to set them up like AutoCad points.

Much of it it learning the different terms that Carlson uses.

BUT when you look at the cost differential and the power of the Field to Finish over the old fbk files. well, Carlson ends up way ahead.

Much of the transitional problems with Carlson is because the user has not learned how to configure the software to work the way thay want it to. Once you get the ins and outs figured out there are not many things that you can dol in AutoCad that you cannot do in Carlson. Example, in AutoCad I can set up only ONE Figure Prefix Library. I have this set up for "house" drawings. When I have to do a drawing for the Corps of Engineers using their layers and line types, I am messed up. Not so in Carlson. In Carlson I have a separate DWT file, a separate Figure Prefix Library and a separate Descriptor Key file for EACH differing client set-up utilising their layer names, descriptors and linetypes, yet my field crews use ONLY ONE standard descriptor set-up and ALL of my linework and symbols come in on the proper layer and in the proper linetype when I hit the Field To Finish button. I cannot do that in AutoCad with the versions we have in house ( Civil 3D 2008 )

Oh, if you are finding the RW5 files "quirky", could it be because you do not really understand how to use them? They are indeed different. We have been using them in the field since the product was called "Tsunami" ands have not had any problems. It's all just learning what you are looking at, what's goos, what's bad and what the data collector has put there for some unknown reason. (Those issues arrise in the FBK files too.)

I am very familiar with TDS RW5 and RAW files. I wrote a program called EditTDS.exe which exports FBK files. This is why I am bias to FBK files. FBK files are a sort of “batch” processing which Carlson lacks for the power user. The only thing close to “batch” processing for Carlson are RW5 files which it did something strange. Removed the OC? I forgot but Carlson ruin a RW5 file that I had to fix to use for InRoads. I use AutoCAD to rough process topography and then when the file is clean, I run it thru MicroStation InRoads for our DOT.

I know Carlson points will only differ if I move them. I use the move command frequently. Maybe I should hit the ESC key three times, every time I want to select objects and then run an AutoCAD command.

I can do all the configuration I want with Carlson but it won’t apply to objects the guy next to me created. Again, company standards? Yes and lol.

If Carlson does everything LDD does then how do you lock points so they remain the same in the drawing and the external file?

Also in LDD, I knew where the figure library (figure.db file) was kept and created a .bat to make current the needed file.

rkmcswain

I've done a little research on VB.net and then got sidetrack to VSTA. Visual Studio Tools for Applications. What is your opion of VSTA?

IIRC - It was thought at one time that Autodesk was going to include VSTA in AutoCAD, but it hasn't happened yet. I do think they put it in some other app, like maybe Revit or something, but I can't remember...

If Carlson does everything LDD does then how do you lock points so they remain the same in the drawing and the external file?

Also in LDD, I knew where the figure library (figure.db file) was kept and created a .bat to make current the needed file.

Evidently we have a mis-connect here. What is the purpose of locking points? If you do not physically move them in the drawing file, they will remain the same in the crd file. If you do move them, you must remember to do a "update crd file from drawing" or you will indeed have a different dwg and crd file.

Your figure prefix library is an awesome tool. Tie that together with the descriptor key file and the point group file and you have a lot of power. The problem with the figure.db file is that you cannot edit it nor can you set up multiple figure prefix libraries. I do Corps work and need to be able to use their line types and layer names. AutoCad gets really pizzy if you try to do that. ALL of this is now done in your Field to Finish FLD file. In that set up you establish all of your descriptions, line types, symbols and point groups. All at one time. You can save one set-up for in house standards and save anotther copy renamed to say "Corps" and then change the file to use the corps block names, layer names and linetypes. Those files are then simply stored under the Support Folder and you can set which one to use when you run Field To Finsh on your crd file.

After ten years of using AutoCAD, I have developed the habit of selecting objects first and then issuing an AutoCAD command like MOVE. I may accidently have a Carlson point(s) selected and then select TEXT elsewhere and issue the MOVE command. Carlson point(s) will behave as per the configurations of the time of creation i.e. linked to CRD file, NOT link to CRD file or BOTH.

LDD AeccPoint(s) would behave as per my current configuration. Also, lock points just give a sense of security.

I really didn’t have a figure prefix library tool. LDD used a file called “figure.db” for its figure prefix library. You can create one for city, one for county, one for Corps, etc. etc. And then copy and paste (using Windows Exployer) the one utilized by LDD to suit your needs. Granted this isn’t as free flowing as Carlson.

I think you are mixing up the figure prefix library and the descriptor key file. The Figure prefix library does your line work ONLY ant that file cannot be copied, renamed or edited,,,,,well you can change the descriptions under the Survey Analysis/Figures menu, but you are not asked anywhere to select that file to load. You do select the descriptor keys under the Label style pull down. That file ONLY inserts your symbols/blocks.

Anyway, ALL of this is easily setup under Field To Finish and that FLD file CAN be copied, renamed and edited and then selected when you create a new drawing. And all of the custom files can be stored under the SUPPORT folder. That's the first place that Carlson looks.

I fully understand the difference between a figure.db file and a description key .mdb file. LDD itself only allows one figure.db file BUT you can copy and replace the figure.db file with Windows Exployer. I had many figure prefix libraries , description keys files and prototypes.

Like I said, Carlson is more free flowing. With LDD, you have to think outside the box.

What you are saying is something that I have been told that cannot be done. I am running LDD 2007. I also have every version from Softdesk8 to LDD 2009. I would LOVE to be able to do what you describe!! It would solve a load of problems I have run into. I have searched my entire C:/ drive for "figure.db" and even "figure.*" and have found nothing? Can you tell me where this file is located so I can try what you are saying?

Sorry, that should have been fig_pref.db and last used by me with LDD2005.

I only have Carlson on my computer now (cry, cry) but I believed it could be found in the installed directory under /DATA/SURVEY/

or try

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD Land Desktop \\Data\Survey

That is just my point!! That file died with LDD2005. The figure prefix library in LDD is now non-editable. You no longer can copy, edit or rename it. HOWEVER, in the Carlson Field TO finish FLD file you can do all of that and more.

Now, if I do chose to ignore the warning Explorer gives me abour editing a .db file amd I modify, rename and save the new file, how do I then tell LDD WHICH .DB file to use? There is no option on choosing a particular figure.db file.

If that is something that you like, you HAVE to stick with Carlson, because it is no longer in LDD or Civil3D.

I like Carlson beacuse, no matter what Job Standards I am using, EVERYTHING comes in when I import my points. All of my symbols, tree sizes and types, pipe sizes and types, pipe inverts and all of my line work. BAM!! There it is. I cannot do that in my current version of AutoCad. (I have heard that the 2010 Civil3D Survey section has a similar field to finish setup, but that is all built on the TDS package and I do not think TDS will do all of this. (Why hasn't AutoDesk developed its own survey data collection package?)

When I first started on Carlson I thought it was quite cumbersome. I paid for the Carlson College classes in Virginia, but that did not answer my questions. (Some were answered incorrectly!) Then I had a class here in Jackson, Ms put on by the Carlson College rep from CarlsonDS. That guy knew his stuff and answered all of my questions and showed me some things I thought totally impossible. The days of learning Civil3D and/or Carlson on your own are LONG gone. Go to http://www.Carlsonds.com, register, log in and watch the videos he has on line. I think you may find some ideas there.

(Why hasn't AutoDesk developed its own survey data collection package?)
Because they don't know how? They have tried to purchase, or license and/or otherwise acquire Carlson's (and maybe others?) survey code on multiple occasions.

Your point is wrong!!! Someone else in my office has the AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2008 and can copy the fig_pref.db and has multiple linework feature. You can't, I don't care, it doesn't matter, you have your Carlson.

You not supposed to use Windows Exployer to edit the file, use Exployer to copy the file into C:\INHOUSE. Then use LDD to config for the Corps. Then use Exployer to copy fig_pref.db to C:\CORPS. Use Windows Exployer to copy and overwrite the fig_pref.db file utilized by LDD for inhouse or corps. Again, this isn't as free flowing as Carlson but it is possible.

I've already downloaded and viewed the Carlson movies. The reason I prefer an Autodesk product over Carlson software is Autodesk offers more for the power user.

Again, we must agree to disagree......especially if we are talking the Survey package. For someone doing Surveyig and mapping, and not engineering functions, Carlson Survey with its direct field link and data exchange and its field to finish process makes the surveyor a "power user".

I suppose it depends on how you define a "power user"? Working for the largest, purely surveying firm in the Southeast, I think my company should qualify as a "power user" and we are in the process of switching totally to Carlson.

We have used AutoDesk products since 1988, but the lack of the field interface as in Carlson, the additional surveying power in the package and the MAJOR cost differential has made the change practical and VERY cost effective.

Your fig_pref.db fix is interesting, but how do I tell the program which fig_pref.db file to use when? I see nowhere to set that. The prototype file?

See, I am not being knotheaded but you are addressing something I have been trying to do for MANY moons. I have been told by knowledgeable CAD types, Like M. J. Ferrell, who is indeed an expert on AutoCad, that this cannot be done. The software is setup to look in a very specific place for this file by name. If I put this modified file in the proper place, then I overwrite my existing file. Are you saying to do this as a matter of routine, switching back and forth as required?