converting 3D Faces to a mesh

Nellie

Does anyone know a quick way of converting 1000's of 3D faces (triangles) which are all different UCS's into a 3D mesh.

I want to make the ground of my model (Large building) exact but dont want to spend hours extruding over 5000 3D faces via a path.

Thanks in advance.

Nellie: If you would be so kind as to let us know how well the procedure, as recommended by AutoDesk, works it would be appreciated. It might help others facing the same problem. Thanks.

Below is how I got on.

It worked using the follow steps:

1. First convert the selected 3D faces to individual surfaces - the command CONVTOSURFACE
  2. Then use the UNION command to join the surfaces together
  3. To retain the shape of the original faces, set the FACETERSMOOTHLEV variable to 0 (or perform this setting through the MESHOPTIONS command)
  4. And finally convert the unified surface to a 3D mesh object with the MESHSMOOTH command

Please note that step 1 was misspelt on Autodesk website, My advise is when going through step 2 you Union a handfull at a time as your machine will crash.

It do work great but I still can seem to open the drawing on a machine without AutoCAD 2010, Does anyone know if thats normal?

:)

Thanks for the feedback Nellie. Glad you were able to get it to work (despite a minor glitch). Regarding opening the drawing. Did you forget and happen to save it in 2010 file format by any chance?

No I've tried saving as 2000, 2004, 2007 and even 2010 but it still wont show on my non 2010 PC.

It says its a ACAD PROXY ENTITY and if I'm honest I can't really do anything with it right now, I cant even use it to slice.

Any advice on this would be great.