Loss of menubar and toolbars

Claresmomma

Greetings! I am at a loss and am hoping someone on this forum can help me diagnose and hopefully fix my problem.

I have AutoCad 2007 and windows xp. All of this on a brand new Dell Vostro 400, which has behaved very well since its purchase in May.

I had a ton of programs open on Thursday night and was closing them all down in preparation for the evening and to my horror, experienced the dreaded BSOD. AutoCad was open, but my drawing had been saved, so I wasn't too worried. I restarted the computer several times and everything appeared to be OK. I ran a Dell provided diagnostic which included a defrag of the hard drive.

The next morning I opened my Autocad and only had these pulldowns visible: File, View Window and Help. Nothing in any of the pulldowns to allow me to even think I was in AutoCad.

I tried to restore the entire computer to an earlier time before the BSOD and it wouldn't let me - not sure why, but wondering if the defrag that was conducted had anything to do with it.

So, then I got out my AutoCad disk, went to control panel and did all 3 of the possibilities - repair, repair registry and reinstall Autocad.

Nothing changed. Tried this 3 separate times, with restart each time.

Meanwhile, windows had automatically completed 2 updates. I checked the web to see if they might have had anything to do with it, but my husband's machine received the same updates and was operating just fine, so pretty sure that wasn't the culprit. It wasn't. I downloaded the XP service pack 3 to see if that would help. Nope.

I have tried the -toolbar command, I have tried cleanscreen and I have been reading websites for most of the afternoon and have now run out of options. I read with interest about the named profile, which we have never done, so I don't have a saved profile anywhere that I can import. I reviewed my incident log, for both system and software and can see where the BSOD occured, but unfortunately with the Dell diagnostic, it deleted the minidump so I have nothing to look at. Nowhere on the incident log is any reference to any AutoCad issues, so I don't even know if that or the windows download might have affected the software.

I would really appreciate any insight and specific help that any forum member might offer me.

When a reinstall doesn't solve the problem then we know something is amiss. Have you given any thought to just wiping the drive clean and starting over from scratch?

Any error messages displayed?

Can you access the command line and type anything? If so, try typing -Toolbar. What happens?

Well, there is always that, but I also have 2004LT and 2009(trial) installed and they seem to be working fine. I was hoping that someone would be able to guide me through what controls that portion of autocad. I'm pretty computer savy and can follow directions.

Eureka!

I'm back in business! On the 10th of June 2007 "Hazardman" responded to a thread posted by Redaisey in Beginner's area about this exact same issue. The answer that he suggested worked immediately for my problem. I have no idea how my acad.cui got unloaded, but now I know where it lives and I reloaded it using the command "MENULOAD" and followed the directions as to where it resided. I reloaded it and all of my toolbars and preferences have reappeared!

Whew!

Thanks for all of your answers! This is a neat forum - my husband and I will be back more frequently to read other issues!

• 1 year later...

I've seen similar when using AutoCAD and Sharepoint. It turned out that the Vault partial cui was the culprit. Once the main cui is choosen in options I then needed to unload partial cui that was causing it. After that all is good.

• 1 month later...