How to make a solid out of this

pacho

Hello:

Can someone explain me how to make a solid out of this.

I have tried intersectin solids and surfaces, no luck.

Dibujo.JPG

Finally if made it with lines, making regions, extruding etc. But now i want to make it a solid.

This is the farthest i've been able to get:

Dibujo2.JPG

Then i tried to "lean faces" but autocad doesn't let me.

thanks for your time, sorry for my english

regards,

pacho

Have you tried LOFT between the curves?

You could try Rhino, the trial lets you save 25(?) times.

There you have the command EdgeSrf where you select four edge curves to define a surface. Finally all the surfaces can be made into one solid.

Can you post a dwg?

As I mentioned, you can make 3D surfaces in AutoCAD with the LOFT command. See Image. It's a real hassle compared to Rhino because curves are "consumed" (deleted when they are used) and you cant select the edge of a surface as a curve in your next loft.

Now, How do we make this watertight surface model into a solid in AutoCAD?

AcadSurfToSolid.jpg

ok_surface.dwg

One of the options for the Slice command uses a Surface as a cutting object. So;

if the bottom Region were extruded as shown in the second image of the original post – except extruded past the uppermost point

the compound, upper surface lofted as described in post #4

then those two elements work nicely with the Slice command to produce the attached solid. Surface also left in drawing.

ok_Solid.dwg

As I mentioned, you can make 3D surfaces in AutoCAD with the LOFT command. See Image. It's a real hassle compared to Rhino because curves are "consumed" (deleted when they are used) and you cant select the edge of a surface as a curve in your next loft.

Now, How do we make this watertight surface model into a solid in AutoCAD?

before the loft type DELOBJ and set the variable to 0. your curves will no longer be deleted after the loft. Once you have a closed surface you can convert from Surface to solid. CONVTOSOLID

before the loft type DELOBJ and set the variable to 0. your curves will no longer be deleted after the loft. Once you have a closed surface you can convert from Surface to solid. CONVTOSOLID

Thanks, I had a feeling there was a setting for this :)

I tried to convert those multiple surfaces to a solid but AutoCAD didn't want that..

I think the kicker of that command is you need to have a thickness to the surface. honestly i dont use it because its much easier to slice a solid with a surface than to try and "fill" the surface. You can type THICKEN, select a surface and give it a thickness as long as this doesnt introduce some self intersecting geometry. Especially with this shape, extrude then two slice operations would be the way to go.

edit. it would take more than a simple extruded surface to trim the top but its still a loft operation/surface slice.

Hi there:

Really thank you all for your help, it is much apprecciatte.

To nostromo:

Yes there is a real porpuse(i supose you are curious), it is supose to be a part of a duct in an installation:

Dibujo.JPG

kind regards, and than you all again for your time.

pacho

• 3 months later...

Was this answered, I can't tell? I have a similar item made of "watertight surfaces" -- it looks like half an oil drum. It's the most simple thing you can imagine. But CONVTOSOLID refuses with the lamest message I've ever seen outside of Javascript. I tried making the ARC a POLYLINE, but that also fails with the same lame message. Any ideas?

Was this answered, I can't tell

If you recreate Pacho's drawing and follow the tip from Seant as I did you will see that the question was fully answered and the problem resolved. Its a usefull exercise to do. I got a lot out of it. I'm not very good at lateral thinking and following this thread opened up a lot of modeling opportunities for me to draw more complicated shapes. It may give you the answer to your problem if you draw it up on screen as an exercise rather than just reading it through.

It just seems to me that if you have an internal volume described by watertight surfaces, CONVTOSOLID should work. But it doesn't. It only works in very specific cases. The alternative given (slice an extruded solid with a smooth cutting surface) is nice. I ended up putting the ongoing learning curve on hold for another round later and meanwhile drawing a "half circle" profile and simply extruding that to make an instant solid. Thanks guys.