Add more materials into my Material Editor

Jugulate

Normally u start ur 3D max... You got a few Materials right ?

I think for everyone will be 16 material at the material editor....

Problem : Im doing in big scale... So i will be adding alot alot of stuff... Till i found out i dont know how to addmore materials into the material editor.... Is 16 the max or how can I add more ?

Anyone please help !

As posted by ralphus at Yahoo! Answers:

"In the material editor, first click get material. Then your material/map browser opens. It defaults to NEW in the "browse from" section. Change that to Mtl Library. Then below that, under the "file" section, select open, and then just locate your .mat file that you just downloaded."

No, 16 is not the maximum.

The maximum number of material slots that can be displayed in the Materials Editor is 24. You can set that by right clicking on any material slot and choose "6x4 Sample Windows" from the pop up menu.

As far as maximum materials in your scene, you can have as many as you want. Once you have used all 24 available slots, just start over again. Select any material slot and then click the "Reset Map/Mtl to Default Settings" button. This will pop up a window that will give you two options to choose from. Select the one that says "Affect only mtl/map in the editor slot". This will not affect any materials in your scene, it will just clear the material from the slot and allow you to create a new material. If for any reason you need to go back and edit the previous material again, just use the "Pick material from object" button and select the material in your scene.

But I would suggest you learn about, and start using, the "Multi Sub Object" material. That way, you can combine many materials inside one material slot. I use the Multi sub object material all the time and I have never run out of material slots. And I have built some pretty large scenes.

Hope that helps. Post back if you have any questions. :wink: