3DS Max Materials.

Jacko93

CAn anybody please point me to the section where all the materials are stored for 3DS Max,. I can't seem to find them. I have a model that has been sent to me for a job and it does not have any of the materials with it. I am informed that they are all standard materials with the package, so I was hoping that if I put them all in the same folder as the model, they will be pulled in automatically, similar to Autocad xrefs. I'm not overly familar with the product, I am only using it on a trial version so that I can export it to a Navisworks file to clash with the services within the building. However, I will be running off some renders, so would be handy to have the full material maps in Navis aswell, it's for a football stadium,. so would save a massive amount of time.

Thanks in advance.

The standard Max materials are stored in *.mat files. So you can't just put them in the folder with the model. They should have been included when you installed Max, but I believe you have to specify whether you want to install them or not. Since they are not showing up when you open the Max file, it sounds like you didn't include them when you installed the program. I would suggest re-installing Max, and this time, do a Custom install and specify that you want to include the material files.

Although, if you're using the trial version, you won't be able to re-install. Maybe try running a repair of your installation? Do you have a disk or did you download the trial? Maybe you can just copy and paste the *.mat files into your 3ds Max "materiallibraries" folder?

Cheers CAD64, but all seems to be in vain. I'm guessing that there is a difference between vray and mray materials. He had used Vray to render his, where as I only have standard mray with max, different types of materials? Anyhoo, all sorted now, I just continued from scratch and put my own materials in.