Blocks

Jfennell

I am Working with a drawing and i am using the title sheet as a block so that when there are multiple sheets i can make universal changes to the border, i.e. date title etc.... However, the obvious drawback to that is that there are some items on each sheet that are unique to that particular sheet. i know a while back i saw someone set up a border sheet that had certain parts of the sheet universal and some parts unique. if there is anyway that this can be done it would help a lot, especially with drawings consisting of 20+ sheets. if there is another way to achieve this i would gladly welcome suggestions. As of right now if there is a change that has to be made to all the drawings i have to open each individual drawing and make the change, seems kinda primative. Also on a side note, is it beneficial to set you drawings up using multiple sheets within one file as opposed to having one file for each drawing? Any input on these topics would be great.

Thank you

Jeez, I hope this is an obsolete way of doing things (is it JDM?) but had you given any thought to inserting your title block as an X-ref? When the drawing is opened it will bring in the latest version of the title block.

Sheet sets sounds like it might be useful to you as well.

Jeez, I hope this is an obsolete way of doing things (is it JDM?) but had you given any thought to inserting your title block as an X-ref? When the drawing is opened it will bring in the latest version of the title block.

Sheet sets sounds like it might be useful to you as well.

I think you're right on Mark- I prefer my titleblock to be an xref.

JDM?.. Wouldn't and x-ref give me the smae problem when it comes to unique inputs to each drawing, such as if i change something in the x-ref it will change it on all of the drawings, which is great except for things like sheet number and sheet title, i need to be able to have universal access as well as the ability to change idividual sheets without effecting all of the sheets.

I just use individual text objects for sheet numbers, etc.

I snap them to a point on the xrefed title so they are in the same place on all sheets.

May not be the best way (or the most up to date) but it works for me...

I use blocks inserted individually into each drawing. The file name is a FIELD and everything else is an ATTRIBUTE. It may not be the most flexible but is sturdy. If something changes across the board the block can be redefined externally and re-inserted (using a script if there are lots). Similarly attributes can be modified more easilly than text using VBA.

Without programming skills your best way forward may not be the same.

You make an Xref of all the things in a title block that will not change. You make another drawing with attributes for all the stuff that will change. Xref the title block, then insert the attribute drawing. That is how I do it, works great for me.

Who would have thought that X-refs and attributes, darn near obsolete commands, could come in so handy. "Fields" must be jealous. Just goes to prove there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

Caveat: I have two cats. No abuse intended, implied or suggested.

Who would have thought that X-refs and attributes, darn near obsolete commands, could come in so handy. "Fields" must be jealous. Just goes to prove there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

Caveat: I have two cats. No abuse intended, implied or suggested.

Not sure why you think xrefs and attributes are darn near obsolete. Care to enlighten me?

Not sure why you think xrefs and attributes are darn near obsolete. Care to enlighten me?
have a look in chat for a thread started by ReMark - you might get a clue there. :wink:

I don't think they are obsolete. I'm having a little fun with a high-minded "academoniac" (I think I just invented a new word). Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.