How to create a solid with curved surface?

ongx2

How to create a curved solid using the edges from an exploded curved mesh? What I did is creating a box and slice it along the edges resulting in combination of 2 triangle box. However, I need it to be curved because I am creating a 26M ship.

Between, I already done all the mesh to the ship, but I need to slice it to check with the water lines. But the mesh can't be sliced, correct me if I'm wrong because I just learning 3D for 1 month. So, there is the need for me to turn the meshed ship into a solid ship which look absolutely same.Is there any easier way to create a solid ship instead of creating every small solids using edges from the meshes and union them together?

Sorry I can't upload the ship model because it is private and kept in my office.

Below I attached is the example of a curved solid I trying to create using part of the exploded curved mesh. Thank you for any advice. :D

curvedsolid.dwg

i hope this is what u wanna achieve

-u cannot slice with the help of meshes, that's why i use surfaces, so u must somehow convert those meshes into surfaces

-in the second part i saved 2 of the mesh lines that are enough for me to use for the loft command, in order to obtain the same surface ( like the mesh one)

-in the third step i used the loft command and obtained the desired surface

-in the fourth part i used the slice command, that worked with the surface i created there

Hope this is what u wanted to do. In case u got trouble creating the surfaces, tell me where the problem lies, and i'll explain in more detail. In case u got a point and the loft command whon't work, don't forget that u can draw a very small line instead of the point :)))))

frunza1.dwg

Thank you very much frunza samuel and appreciating it, I followed ur instructions and I figured out how to do the curved surface with the loft command. But there is one sad thing because I try the loft command at home with autocad 2008 and my office is using autocad 2006 which does not have the loft command.

By the way, may I know what is the different between mesh and surface? I thought they are the same thing lol, or just the mesh can be adjusted by pulling the points? Is it possible to create a curved surface in autocad 2006? Or is there any other way to create a curved solid in autocad 2006?

Or maybe I have to ask my boss to install the autocad 2008 lol...

Anyway, thank you all for ur attention...

the difference is that mesh sucks : ))))))))

u can create some surcafes with revolve, extrude and boolean operations. But loft rulz :wink:

u also have helix command in 2008, that's also pretty nice

offtopic:

do u do any unfolding there? (since u're doing ship stuff

Yes, there is a way is to use facetted "rounded" 3DSOLIDs, based on RULESURF-surfaces (it works up from ACAD2000). The long way is to use the M2S.lsp or F2S.lsp by Mr. Gilliss. I did my own RS2S.lsp to create 3DSOLIDs between RULESURFs - see the attachement.

But - before Mr. Mather is back - yes, there are better funtionalities in Acad 2007 and later.

It depends on your CNC-machines too: what kind of formats do they understand etc.

Last but not least: for Unfoldings I would recommend a look at

http://www.ant-ares.de

Regards

Jochen

3D.zip

Oh, then Autocad 2008 sounds much better.

What did you mean by unfolding? Yeah, I am drawing ship's lines and solid using Autocad to check whether all the surfaces are smooth, and later I will import them into another 3d program to complete all the stuff inside the ship.

Jochen, thanks for the suggestion, I will figure how to install them out :)

unfolding.. get that cutting surface (from the example) in one plane.

thought u do that, and wanted to know some methods, or something like that

Hmmm...don't really get what you mean by unfolding lol, but anyway, after I complete the solid ship model, I need to get the exterior lines every 500mm from btm to top of the ship(water lines - XY plane), from center of the ship to neither left or right of the ship (XZ plane), and from the back of the ship to the front of the ship according to the frames (YZ plane). Basically I get those exterior lines by using section command, or slice is also possible, and I need to submit those lines to my boss to check whether the lines are smooth or any unusual curves appeared.

if your planning to use autoCAD in ship designing you may want to switch sofwares, 3d Max is a lot better in modeling using surfaces. AutoCAD just sucks in complex surfaces and most of the commands involving surfacing in autoCAD are either obsolete or give limited outputs.

Yeah...I feel autocad sucks too lol in creating solids, too many problems appeared with using union command, I will be switching to a 3D program called Ship Constructor soon, hope it will be much suitable for me...