changing xref "path type"

johnengineer

I have an existing drawing with muliple external references. Once I save the drawing to a different directory, the xrefs need to be repathed to their original directory. Is it possible for AutoCAD to change the existing drawing such the path of the external references are relative? I find it very tedious to repath each and every external reference to their original directory.

Interesting question,

cant wait to see the answer. We have the same problem when we archive files. Always asumed repathing is the only way to do it. If there would be an other way it would save me tons of time >

Do you have any programming experience? There are at least 2 options.

1-Use E-Transmit and strip the paths.

2-Use code of some sort to repath or strip the paths. I prefer stripping the paths b/c then you can use them in any folder

I use option 2, which I could share if you want. You will have to tweak it a little, as my pathing is different than yours

Would this method work for files that needs repathing even though the "Found at" path has changed as well?

E.g. when we archive the project the whole project folder (with projectfile and Xref) goes from "Current Files" to "Archived Files".

short answer, yes. The saved path is always tried, and if it isn't found, Autocad starts searching, starting with the current directory. After that, its your support file search path and Project Search paths.

what is your directory structure look lilke? current files\xrefs to archived files\xrefs or are all the files in 1 folder?

Another method I discovered was to use AutoCAD's reference manager. You can add all your drawings which need repathing and point them to the correct directory.

yes johnengineer, we use the xrefmanager atm to repath all the xrefs but it takes a while to do so since most of our drawings have more than 1xref.

I searched the internet and found a lisp that would change the absolute path of the xrefs to a relative path but it doesnt quite do what i need.

I posted it in the LISP catagory and i am hoping that on of the pros can help me solve the problem there.

maybe you could take a look at it there CmdrDuh

Hi,

i found this lisp on CADDmager (author: Mark McDonough) and it gives a relative path to the Xrefs in our drwings. I am currently trying to find a way to archive our files without having to repath the xrefs in every .dwg we archive.

Since the LISP is apparently to long to post here the link to the website i found it on:

http://www.plantbuzz.com/cad/cad_utils.htm

the directory we are using for our current projects is e.g.: Z:\Files\Current Files\Projectname.... and for our archived projects we use Z:\Files\Archived Files\Projectname....

my problem is by using this Lips it changes the relative path to ..\..\Current Files\Projectname\drawings\Xref.dwg and i want it to change the relative path to ..\..\projectname\drawings\xref.dwg

I am pretty sure this is an easy one for you all but i cant figure out where to change what since i have very little experiance with writing lisps.

Any help is appreciated

Thx

hope that was ok to post it there and it answers your questions to help me

thanks again in advance