Approching an employer for home use.

muck

I noticed that this webpage has an artical about home use

for AutoCAD users. It said that it was for students and employees.

I am an employee and I was thinking about approaching my

employer about this but I would like to know what is involved

in getting an employer to get permission for an employee.

What is involved in doing this for the employer and what is

the best way for an employee to present this information

to persade an employer to allow it.

Thank you,

Are you talking about the ability to work at home using the same software you use in work?

I work from home (telecommute as it is called) one day a week. The toughest part of the process is convincing your employer it is a good, workable idea. The part of the process involving AutoCAD is pretty simple. AutoDe$k policy allows the user to load the same version of AutoCAD in two different locations and use it. The caveat is there can be no concurrent use. In other words, you cannot be working at home and have another co-worker using the same AutoCAD license at a computer back at the office. This would be a violation. There is another option involving moving or transferring the license temporarily, of which I am not fully up to speed on. However, I've been telecommuting for 16 years without any problem.

AutoDe$k policy allows the user to load the same version of AutoCAD in two different locations and use it.
although this is regional. I know some on here in the UK can do that but our suppliers say the licence we have doesn't allow it.

The OP hasn't said where they live.

I think the OP is asking about the home use option that Autodesk has now granted to subscribers. Any AutoCAD subscription allows the holder to install 2 copies of the software, one on a main work PC and one at home or on a laptop for use outside the office. See here for more details.

Basically, it costs your employer nothing. All you need to do is ask your subscription manager to request a home licence via the subscription website.

With the release of AutoCAD 2009, Autodesk improved some of the benefits to those with a subscription. The big headline change was the opportunity for subscribers to install and use any previous version of AutoCAD, even if we never owned it in the first place.
I'm glad it has changed but have you tried to do this officially?

I had to fill in a 20 page form and AutoDesk then gave us the code that would run a version we previously owned, but not on subscription for 3 months. They would not allow us to install a previous option we never previously owned. Our supplier eventually got us an unlimited registration for the previously owned version but we were refused the not owned version.

I haven't tried getting a home registration (I wasn't aware of the change) but I mght try just to see how well it works.

everyone in our office has an install of ACA on a home machine, all we had to do when getting them authorized is to call in and let them know that it was for a remote computer, they had absolutly no problems with allowing the auth.

I try to work at home at least 1 day a week, and work in the evenings at setting up company templates and what not.

If the employer is on subscription then they can request a home copy. Some employers are afraid that the employee will use the program for making money on the side and won't even consider it. If you get them to agree to the home use you bound by the agreement to not use it for profit, education purposes only. When your employment ends you agree to unload it off of your computer.

If they are not on subscription then you cannot install the program on a home computer as the second computer has to be owned or leased by the employer.