3D Golf Ball?

fewer_98

Here's a golf ball, AutoCAD 2000 3D.

I can't take credit for the work but, fun to dissect it. :roll:

File is 1700 kb, to large to post. PM me if you want the *.dwg file via email.

Golfball.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• craigp

• fewer_98

• buburayak

• Methuselah

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a golf ball, AutoCAD 2000 3D.

I can't take credit for the work but, fun to dissect it. :roll:

File is 1700 kb, to large to post. PM me if you want the *.dwg file via email.

great job, hexagonal mesh :)

how to PM you:ouch::cry: and can you tell me how to do that :oops:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

how would you array this hexagon about a sphere...properly so that it doesn't look perfectly uniform?? trying to make one myself ....

I looked up golfball on wikipedia, and they had some interesting images regarding the dimples layouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_ball#Design

I recommend getting a golfball in your hands and look for a pattern. Save yourself a little time though and get one that's got an equator to use as a reference point. (and as a mirror point)

i created an asterisk looking hex array in top view about sphere then did 3d array in right view and i ended up with about a thousand duplicates....

How would you use 3d array properly to get a consistent looking hex pattern about the sphere without having to erase thousand duplicates?? thanks again for your help..

Once you're in side view, you array each one individually, and with a lower count of items for each one.

ie- Whatever you used for the starting row, do the same for the one that has the greatest distance to go, but the closer you get to the poles, the less you should be using.

UNLESS, you change the axis of rotation each time, so that the axis is always perpedicular to the angle from the one you're rotating, to the center of the main sphere. In which case, you aren't getting closer to the poles, you're just layering the holes at the center of the equator..

Note: Arraying the dimples is not how you lay these out for real. Hold a golfball in your hand, and count how many equally spaced dead-straight rows there are around the ball. If there's not a series of straight rows, then array isn't used, because that's all it can create.

That's why there's talk of overlapping holes at the poles. If you make a mesh sphere, you can look at how the shape of the faces squeeze together at the poles, and imagine how that effects your dimple placement.

Another consideration is that if you layout the holes using array for a very small portion of the ball, you could mirror those around the sphere.. which is what that google link describes.. a triangular shape with holes in it, repeated and flipped along each edge of the triangle. I don't like the results of that though.. it doesn't seem to produce a stereotypical ball.

(EDIT: yeah.. actually it IS a stereotypical ball.. I'm just not used to looking at it in high contrast like that.)

In inspecting a randomly acquired golfball (a "Pinnacle Gold 3," to be precise).. I noticed that there's an equator-line with no dimples, bordered by a line of dimples on either side of it.

However, the dimple spacing appears erratic rather than consistent.. even along the equator. Then I noticed there are different sized dimples in patterns in different areas. Possibly 3 different size dimples in total, and aside from those two lines against the equator, the rows of dimples tend to arc and then change direction.

The idea, I think, is that if all the dimples were in straight lines, it would notably affect the way the ball rolls and flies through the air.

So.. as I thought.. Array won't do a hell of a lot of good here, unless you figure-out and recreate the pattern and then array THAT instead.

Looks like those wikipedia images were even more accurate than I realized, and hold the key to doing this correctly.