sheet metal development - helix - mixer blade

linnmaster

Hello peoples,

I've just joined this forum to hopefully get some friendly help with this software that I'm trying to self teach. I was trained up in ProEngineer and have worked extensively with Solidedge. With my current employment, a new CAD package is used yet again - Inventor 2010.

Would anyone know how to flatten sheetmetal of a typical concrete mixer barrel blade section.

I've attached something along the lines of what I need to achieve the development of ...

Regards,

David

Part8.zip

Flattening a sheet metal can be easy using solid rolls used for bending metals and also by simple Mig Welding. But your case is a bit complicated, because you have to do it virtually, I saw some useful videos related to your topic just search them and I hope you can find exactly what you need. You can also consider browsing for a trial version that answers questions online.

I did my own research and found out that in a machine for flattening sheet metal or strip metal, comprising double screws, which serve to axially adjust a yoke, which carries upper rolls, and which screws are adjustable jointly or in pairs by means of nuts threaded on the screws and connected to respective worm wheels, this object is accomplished in that the nuts are mounted in the machine frame for rotation on vertical axes and the screws carry spherical bearings which are disposed above the nuts and adapted to carry the yoke whereas arcuate guides are omitted.

Thanks for your help, but I'm not following ... can you elaborate please. Cheers, David

Hi JD,

Thanks for your input. Yes, the sketch is not constrained. I just did it very quickly to get a visual and a model of what I want to achieve. It's done very primitively. Sorry.

Next question is how would I go about producing these drawings? Is there a workaround at all or some way I can approximate to get a flat pattern?

Thanks for the link. I've been there already and am ready to go through your tutorials.

I've attached what I have which I can use in a complete barrel assembly - but it's just indicative and shows no manufacture detail.

Thanks so much for the support here!

Regards,

David

Part54.zip

Just had a thought ... would it be possible to use the helix surface to create two 3D sketchs, inner profile, and outer profile, and loft flange the two profiles to achieve a small "helix segment"?

I only have 2008 and can't open 2010 models. Maybe you could give us a couple screen shots as well so we may get an Idea of what your looking for.

KC

sampleblade.jpg

This is the sameple blade that I did very quickly ...

barrelblade.jpg

If I can get the sample to work, what I ultimately need to achieve is the above segmented into portions so that the blades can be joined together in the arrangement shown. There are two of these per barrel, the other being exactly the same, rotated at 180 degrees to it.

bladesegmentdev.jpg

I got a portion of it to develope. But look at the number of features! Made from triangluar faces sketched on individual planes created from a series of work points.

Hope that helps

• 9 months later...

linnmaster,

The basic problem is that your shape is simply not manufacturable in the real world without first breaking it up into tiny parts.

We discussed this last week as regards Pro/ENGINEER, but the qualification needs to be that the part is manufacturable to start with. Such an overlapping helix as yours creates a continual undercut that simply can't be tooled in the real world using conventional sheet stamping methods.

You would need to either:

a) change manufacturing technique

b) "segment, stamp and weld" - invites massive problems not only in part complexity but also manufacturability. Remember ALL sheet metal stamping builds mechanical stress into the material that WILL be released in spring-back. The result will be gaps in your blade that could ultimately cause it to fail prematurely.

c) change your design to something manufacturable for traditional stamping process.

I will contact you tomorrow.

linnmaster,

The basic problem is that your shape is simply not manufacturable in the real world without first breaking it up into tiny parts.

We discussed this last week as regards Pro/ENGINEER, but the qualification needs to be that the part is manufacturable to start with. Such an overlapping helix as yours creates a continual undercut that simply can't be tooled in the real world using conventional sheet stamping methods.

You would need to either:

a) change manufacturing technique

b) "segment, stamp and weld" - invites massive problems not only in part complexity but also manufacturability. Remember ALL sheet metal stamping builds mechanical stress into the material that WILL be released in spring-back. The result will be gaps in your blade that could ultimately cause it to fail prematurely.

c) change your design to something manufacturable for traditional stamping process.

I will contact you tomorrow.

Thanks for your response. The first two with complete spirals are just for your reference as to what I want to achieve. I do not need to devlope this. I need the last final blade segment to be developed. Ultimately, the last blade secgment is not correct either as it doesn't allow for overlap. But I can tweak the flat to have overlapping green in real life when put together. To model with overlapping blade segments will prove to be even more difficult, and offering no value as it would make no difference to the actual built item. It would mean modelling each blade segment along an helix line starting 5mm above the line, and ending 5mm under the line, resembling assembly in real life.

All thin and long material is not rigid and hence in real life it will be pulled to meet up correctly. Even if the blade segments was not pre-pressed, it would still pull to the final helix.

So, I have to disagree with your first statement. The part(s) is/are manufacturable. in That's my take on things anyway, but hope to discuss this in detail with you soon.

Regards,

David