xref without any text and dimensions

lulumara

HI all, I was told that when inserting an xref to the host dwg. not to add the text and dimensions. I did freeze all the text and dims. but it was wrong how you insert it but the senior guy don't want to show it to me so how should I insert an xref without the dims and text? thanks in advanced.

I would, attach xref, then in host dwg turn off the layers that the text and dimensions are on.

The layers belonging to the xref'ed dwg will have code at the start of them like %%0- (or something) then original layer name. click the light bulb in the layer manager off.

It's the same process you talking about because I freezed all the text and dims before I insert the xref to host dwg. My company doesn't want to have laying around the host dwg all the text and dims in it.

sometimes when I attach xref's, layers that have been turned off, appear as on in the host dwg.

You have to turn the layer off after attaching the xref, and in the host dwg. Not before, and in the dwg to be attached.

Silly question but why don't you just edit the original xref and delete the text/dim layers then save the new xref as a new xref with out the text/dims ?

What version of Autocad are you using? I think I ask you this every time you post a question? Please update your profile.

In 2008, if you Freeze your Dims and Text in the Xref drawing, and then Insert the Xref into the Host drawing, they should remain Frozen. If you Freeze them in the Xref, after it has already been inserted, you will see no change in the Host drawing.

Just make sure your Text and Dims are not on layer 0. If they are on layer 0, they will show up in the Host drawing even if they are Frozen in the Xref.

It's not a silly question, that's the company's rules,can't edit the xref because lots of drafting guy using it. Can't find the edit for my profile to change-my version 2005. I did freeze all the layers but it's not what my co. wants suppose to be no text and dims.

I don't understand? You can't edit the xref to remove the text and dims and you can't freeze them so they are hidden. So what exactly are you supposed to do then? And why won't your company tell you what they want you to do? This is all very confusing. :?

To edit your profile, click the "User CP" button at the top of the page.

I know what you mean by that even me I 'm kinda confused about it when I was working in other co. we used to include dims and text to host dwgs. You can't see the text and dims when you freeze it but it's kinda big deal for them. Oh I getting an error or saying you enter invalid msn handling when i did my editing of my profile?

Well, I think you just need to grab your Cad Manager and tell him "Look, you need to show me how you want me to do this!" Didn't they give you any kind of "Office Cad Standards" book when you started? Or do they just expect you to figure out their standards and procedures all by yourself?

They have this standard and I did read that when you xref no text and dims included that's what I did ,I didn't show text and dims on the xref. This xref that I know had been xrefed to two dwgs. one that have to be no text and dims the other one have text and dims. Maybe he want s no text and dim on the other dwg where I should not freeze it on the xref itself because I was analysing it that the other host dwg. have text and dims. that should be showing text and dims. I hope so my thought is correct.

one way to achieve what u need is have your line drawing in a drawing say drawing 'A'. Than xref that line drawing into new drawing say 'B'. add dim & text here in drawing 'B'. now when you just need only line drawing attch drawing 'A' & Where u need text 7 dim, attach drawing 'B'.

I just got the answer to my silly question of mine, the senior guy wants the xref from the host dwg without text and dims-freeze it within host dwg not on xref itself. I did look at the dwg he modified .Thanks for all the replied.