A 2.26 mb acad 2007 format file drives me crazy.

the6thsens

Hey Guys,

Well i need advice regarding one of teh files that i work on. I have a autocad file which is 2.26mb in size and have 1 exref attached to it. The file has some blocks as well and 6 layout tabs which is fully formatted. I have purged and done everything possible in my knowledge to make the file size small and to manage the file. Yet everytime i open the file it takes about 1 minute to load. I use ref edit to edit blocks and everything is fine till i save the refedit, which paralyses the system. similarly when i switch between tabs, it says regenreating layout and freezes for some time.

My pc spec is as follows -

Dell Dimension DIM5100

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz

3.39GHz, 1.00GB RAM

Kindly help me manage my file better and improve the ease of my work.

Cheers.

1 GB RAM is way to little - I have 4 and it's still sluggish with large files opening from the network (I blame the network more than my computer, but that is another rant)

But is this just for this one file? Is file done in a AutoCAD vertical (electricla,l mech)? do you save down to an older file format? do you have anything 3D? have you rested your Scalelist (SCALELISTEDIT)?

Hey Tiger,

Cheers for your quick reply! Ya ma8 i am with u for 1GB is more than cramping. And to make things worse i work from a server. But it never improved when i copied the file onto my desktop. and the drawing is made in autocad 2007. I have abdolutely nothing in 3d in this file. I dint quite get you about Scalelist, i havent used it before, could you kindly explain?

1 GB RAM is way to little - I have 4 and it's still sluggish with large files opening from the network (I blame the network more than my computer, but that is another rant)

But is this just for this one file? Is file done in a AutoCAD vertical (electricla,l mech)? do you save down to an older file format? do you have anything 3D? have you rested your Scalelist (SCALELISTEDIT)?

I know that Scalelists caused problems in AutoCAD 2008, not sure if it was there in 2007 as well, but if you type SCALELISTEDIT and then choose to Reset the scalelist, it might make the file more manageble.

Simply put, AutoCAD saves a list of scales in every drawing, if you bring in a block or a x-re, their scalelists are imported into your drawing and bloats the scalelist. Even if you remove the xref, the scalelist is still there.

And you are sure that you are indeed saving in 2007? Go to Toosl > Options > Open and Save and check what you save as.

Maybe its a pathing problem. AutoCAD is looking for something out on the server and gets hung up finding it.

If AutoCAD crashes then it could be a corrupt drawing.

well when i tried with a 9.9 mb file, whilst switching tabs, this time arnd it takes me about 40secs, but inspite of copying the contents of the previous 2.6mb file onto a fresh dwg and purging, the time delay hasnt changed a bit, still takes 2 mins to switch.

@ReMark perhaps as you have said it might be a pthing proble.

well i think it is yet another issue which doesnt make sense but is very much alive!!

Anything on the network the drawing might still be referencing?

How deep are some of these paths. There comes a point when drilling through 12 folders to get to something takes a while to complete. You aren't the only person on the network either.

I am with you ma8! well the fiels are present in the 5th folder in a network. and today is one of the rare days when the office strentgth is halved, and so many not accessing network, yet the problem is same. But what i found strange is a larger file, owing to its file size behave better than this small file. Obviously the large file freezes teh comp for a while, but the logic defying stuff is when this file which is now 1.74mb does the same. Is this problem solely attributed to a slow server?

Anything on the network the drawing might still be referencing?

How deep are some of these paths. There comes a point when drilling through 12 folders to get to something takes a while to complete. You aren't the only person on the network either.

Want to share the file with me? I'll try loading it up on my computer and tell you what happens. I promise not to steal, sell or give away any state secrets.

@Remark - Well I appreciate your offer ma8, but sadly this file i am talking about is at my workplace, where we are not allowed to take the file out and have strict policy.

Cheers!