Problem printing 3d cylinder

p0nyface

When i draw a 3D cylinder and then go to plot i can't see the sides of the cylinder, i can only see the top and bottom edges. i have attached a screenshot of my problem. The lines dont show up when i print either. I am using AutoCAD 2008

Thanks

screenshot.jpg

Well this is a funny one in that most people want to take the lines out while you want to put the lines back.

What do you have ISOLINES set to?

ISOLINES was set to 1, i changed it around a bit but it didnt change anything. I turned Fast Silhouette Edges on and i get what i want but everything else has lines running all over the face of it. i have attached another screen shot showing what i want but as i said i have lines all over the faces of the other objects in the drawing

SCREENSHOT 2.jpg

I think the default setting for ISOLINES is 4; "1" would be way to low. I'd think something like 12 or 20 would be better. Reset ISOLINES to a higher number. Erase the cylinder portion only and then redraw it. Does it look any better/different?

nope, didnt give me what i want. i have attched another screenshot with the cylinder by itself, you can only see the top and bottom of the cylinder, i want to be able to see a line down either side of the cylinder so that you can see there is something there, at the moment it looks like a couple of circles.

SCREENSHOT 3.jpg

You can send it to the address on my website if you want. Just click on the link in my signature and go to the Contact page. But my thought was that if you posted the drawing here, someone using Autocad 2007 or 2008 could take a look at it. I'm using 2010, so I may have an unfair advantage.

What happens if you run Etransmit and create a zip file? Does that get the file size down? If not, can you delete out some of the parts of the model? You don't have to post the whole thing.

Well, I'm not sure what's causing this, but when I copied and pasted your model to a new file, set VSEDGES to 2, initiated HIDE and did a plot preview it worked just fine. So you must have some variable set in that drawing which is causing the problem, but I just don't know what it is. Either that or the drawing is just corrupt. I did find 2 errors when I ran an AUDIT.

can you post a screenshot?? ive done what you said you did, i can get the line i want if i have 'fast silhouette edges' turned on, but as i mentioned in a previous post i then have lines running allover the other parts of the model when really all im looking for is a line down either side of the cylinder so that you can see there is something there and not just a blank space in the middle of the model. thanks heaps for taking the time to help me out,

Here is a setup from AutoCAD 2009, which may have the same properties as 2008 with regard to visualstyles/shademode.

The key factors were to set the viewport’s shadeplot to “Hidden” and set the system variable DISPSILH to 1. Now, if the “3D Hidden” visual style has the “Fast Silhouette Edges” property applied, the layout has pretty good WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get).

EAT-CH-C-AD-04_Mod.dwg

yea that gives me what i want in regards to the cylinder, i can see that it is there and not a blank space anymore, but then i get lines running all over the face of all the other components in the machine i am trying to draw. in a previous post i attatched a screenshot showing these lines that i dont want and the ones i do. I've been trying everything i can think of to try and acheive my goal but its starting to look like i am unable to get the result i want. oh well, you win some and you lose some i spose. Thanks for all your help everyone it has been greatly appreciated, hopefully i can return the favour someday.