Drawing a line using bearings

munz82

It does depend on what the survey is for, and perhaps he is working to the nearest foot, so as far as his brief goes, it does close.

I wouldn't mind casting an eye over his figures, and giving a second opinion on whether it closes geometrically, or whether it closes surveyingwise. :shock:

He's working to the nearest hundredth. It's an ALTA/ACSM Survey, we had to include bugs and frogs.:lol:

Well, OK. Here is the call list straight out of his fancypants coordinate machine thingy on the tripod as processed by the Metes & Bounds program (I think, he gave me a drawing from the prog too). 21 straight lines. bearing, then distance. Yes, there is a line 0.93 long. I'd show you a drawing of it but I don't have one handy without idenifying info on it and it'd take me too long to massage the existing one. Besides, that would take some of the fun away.:wink:

N 69:33:51 W 259

N 20:28:5 E 225

N 69:32:52 W 396.24

S 01:36 E 242.8

N 69:32:52 W 162.63

S 14:33:25 W 1450.82

S 27:53:33 E 247.76

N 74:59:20 E 457.49

N 01:36:22 W 168.83

N 57:13:29 E 250.2

S 32:37:9 E 15.54

N 57:22:51 E 540.5

S 32:42 E 418.95

N 51:33:35 E 31.02

N 47:38:58 W 0.93

N 32:41:16 W 444.28

S 58:56:46 W 194.95

S 75:43:39 W 101.06

S 58:59:45 W 310

N 42:37:38 W 74.69

N 24:27:59 E 941.79

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• eldon

• munz82

• Car5858

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'm zoomed in to the benchmark and the line of 113.66 feet takes up a good portion of my screen. The line however is not at the bearing I specified of N5d27'23"W in fact it is still at 90 degrees.

Back to part one of the issue.

On my first survey drawing, I had a terrible time getting my lines to go in according to my input.

Part of my issue was that I learned about the @ sign and how it locks you to the "current" point you just selected so your line will be reletive to it, the hard way. And then I learned, also the hard way that I had to put a

The other part is, somehow, some time, I monkeed with the direction settings in the Units dialog and the lines would end up at the proper absolute angle, but with the exact oposite compass direction that I entered. Took me at least two days to get that straight.

Thank you all for your help! Now that I know my benchmark was off, I fixed that issue. An after some tinkering with the settings as suggested, everything is working as it should. Thank you all for your time and knowledge of AutoCAD, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. Again, thank you for helping me with my problem.

He's working to the nearest hundredth. It's an ALTA/ACSM Survey, we had to include bugs and frogs.:lol:

Well, OK. Here is the call list straight out of his fancypants coordinate machine thingy on the tripod as processed by the Metes & Bounds program (I think, he gave me a drawing from the prog too). 21 straight lines. bearing, then distance. Yes, there is a line 0.93 long. I'd show you a drawing of it but I don't have one handy without idenifying info on it and it'd take me too long to massage the existing one. Besides, that would take some of the fun away.:wink:

Thank you for the data. Geometrically, the lines do not close (there is a gap) so you are correct in that respect.

Practically, he is correct, but he should know what the gap is. If there was too large a gap, he would have to go out and take all the measurements again, which he doesn't want to do, walking 7000 ft all over again :shock:

Thank you for the data. Geometrically, the lines do not close (there is a gap) so you are correct in that respect.

Practically, he is correct, but he should know what the gap is. If there was too large a gap, he would have to go out and take all the measurements again, which he doesn't want to do, walking 7000 ft all over again :shock:

I seem to remember it missing by less than a foot. It has been several months. I thought I rememebred it only having 16 lines to shoot, too. I told him what the gap was at the time. I don't know what his requirements really are for it. He seems satisfied. I am not trained in civil all that much, I just make lines and circles and squares.:wink:

Well. he would not be bothered by a mile and a half walk at all. The guy is almost 80 and still knocks out 18 holes a couple of times a week, shoots in the high 80's without trying.

He's my Father-in-Law. He may make me hold the rod.:lol:

Ah. so you are the one doing the walking :wink:

Quite possibly. The walking is the easy part. It's kicking through brush, bugs, snakes, aligators, and bigfoots that I can't seem to get behind.:shock:

• 3 years later...

When drawing a line by bearing, I have a coworker wanting to know if there is a way to "turn off" the instrument and rod that are shown while in the line by bearing command. Does anyone know?