Solidworks Challenge

Tankman

Thats the same one i missed ken! I would have just put some 10000rpm fans in and let them balance themselves eventually:)

Same score here.

Do not read below until you have completed.

I thought something was not attached properly.

My assumption was that the fans, HHD and optical drive are off-the-shelf items and should be balanced from the vendor (and assuming the optical drive would simply eject if the disk wasn't placed properly).

I never even considered natural frequencies.

I didn't do bad I guess, for not being an engineer. Though a lot of those answers seemed a bit obvious, in terms of: "Gee they want to test through CAD models and simulations, because they SELL CAD systems.. so that must be the answer I'm looking for."

(Don't read until after you take the quiz)

The "Existing" stackable stool got me though.. if you add ribs, you're reducing stackability. Also, having several stackable stools like that; if you thin the legs out on the ones I have at home, they'll give way... no matter what you do to the top, because there's a natural flair to the angle of the legs to begin with. They'll even bend in the middle. I figured holes would make sense, since material costs were what was being looked at.

It said yes, you're right, but the mold would cost more.

Adding machined "slugs" to the existing mold is NEVER more expensive than recasting/machining the entire mold, per the correct answer. Question fail. :)

That's the only one I missed. Though I guessed at the one JD missed (and a few others). On that one, I figured that some of the answers seemed a little too much of a leap of faith, except the right one (and maybe the loose pieces thing). I figured it had to be a design issue though, because of what the whole quiz was trying to sell.. They weren't selling quality labor, so it wouldn't be a labor issue.

Pretty interesting though.. I never realized you could do those kinds of simulations though Solidworks. Pretty cool if I were in an applicable field.

*****do not read until after the quiz****

Mike. What they were getting at was the flat area of the stool and not the legs. say the stool was 8mm thick. Instead of having the standing area 8mm thick it would be 4mm thick with a grid of ribs that are 4mm wide and go up to the 8mm original height. The stackability wouldnt change.

But as you mentioned reworking the mold would be an additional cost. If you made 10,000 units it probably wouldnt be very cost effective but if the order was 100,000+ the price per unit in comparisson to the mold cost would be much higher.

I just went though this process for a molded part trying to remove material. This wasnt for cost but rather to reduce shrinkage due to material thickness.

• 3 months later...

hmm... for my first post, I guess 6/6 isn't too bad. Then again having an Masters in Materials Engineering helps.

I did have a think about the question people were having troubles with. My only issue was if I needed a natural frequency of about 1 or no natural frequencies. But then I thought about motorbike airboxes and vibrations from the natural frequencies causing 'vibrations' in the bike. Good question for engineering folk!

• 1 month later...

I missed one as well-I might have also missed the one concerning the laptop vibration but there were a couple questions which offered very logical answers such as " use simulation" so I went with the theme. Let SW do the work. That was fun.