In need of Drawing assistance.

Numerics

That's interesting.. can anyone suggest a grid or snap offset ability in 2010?

At least on the old systems, both the Grid and the Snap start at 0,0 so if they were the same setting, they'd always be ontop of each other. Possibly you could set the lower-left limit to .125,.125 and that might do it?

Think of Limits as being the size of your drawing area.. you don't want a .25 area to draw in.. especially if your grid and snap are the same size as the drawing area. if you're drawing a 100' building, than you want your drawing limits to be even larger than that.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Numerics

• Dana W

• MikeScott

• Car5858

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok i finally found the limits, the limits is a standard A size paper, but um... how do i set that properly? i mean i know i can pick a A size paper during plotting, but how would i set it to draw.

MikeScott, you are of course absolutely correct. I was trying to figure out how to make your point myself when I said how I deviated back into a model builder. I apparently needed a few hundred more words.:) Sorry could not hold "few hundred" back.:oops:

Thanks for setting us back on the track. Your point is very well taken.

Speaking of tracks, The train question failed to specify whether the timing device(s) was on the train or in one or more of the train stations, so we might, or might not, have to compensate for the effects of general relativity, from the perspective of the occupants of either one or both of the stations, or that of the occupants of the train.

Actually, after we have been out here in the world figuring out these puzzles handed to us by clients all day, we gain enough conditioned reflexive intuition to immediately see that the author of the test incorrectly asked for the speed of the train, rather than the average speed of the train. Merely inserting that one word removes all ambiguity from the question. I know that the question is asking for average speed with absolute certainty, but will the person grading my paper know that?

I know that Schrödinger's Cat is, in fact boxed, because I put a mouse in there with it, and it is raising an uncommon ruccus that I can hear through the lid.

Similarly, the isometric drawing of the glider is full of ambiguity that makes even a slightly trained intuitive person try to fill in the blanks. Dimensions to non-existant center lines adjacent to dimensions exactly double the former, absence of any hidden lines... Stuff like that would lead a person with minimal experience assembling Ikea furniture to assume the horizontal stabilizer should not stop at the sides of the fuselage. But, of course 99% of the class will not see the ambiguities.

:lol: hold on a minute.:wink:

anyone? :(

Format -> Drawing Limits. You can select a rectangle or I think, enter direct coordinates, or units - I don't know how to use it. Never needed it.

That is something you will probably NEVER see used outside of class.

It does not matter how big model space is, and I would be severely limited if it did matter.

I guess I need somebody to explain what drawing limits is for.

:lol: hold on a minute.:wink:

Format -> Drawing Limits. You can select a rectangle or I think, enter direct coordinates, or units - I don't know how to use it. Never needed it.

That is something you will probably NEVER see used outside of class.

It does not matter how big model space is, and I would be severely limited if it did matter.

I guess I need somebody to explain what drawing limits is for.

well can you help me out with it please? i'd appreciate it, i don't want step-by-step instructions, but i feel like i am missing information, because it isn't coming out properly; here is what is gathered so far:

1. Set your grid and snap to .25”.

2. Create three new layers with the following parameters:

Name Color Linetype

Visible Red CONTINUOUS

Hidden Yellow HIDDEN

Border Green HIDDENX2

3. Draw the six views. View and border locations are important, but do not add any text, dimensions, or draw

the isometric view.

Use A size paper and complete Exercise #5

blockl.png

lblock.png

A size is 11 x 8.5"

Draw a border using polyline. start your line command > Select first point (enter 0,0 on the command line)> enter second point (11)> enter second point (8.5) draw an 11 inch line acros the top, press "c" to close. this will draw around the drawing area like you would be drawing the edge of a sheet of paper.

You can also draw an 11" line from 0,0 to 11 with ortho on. Offset this line 8.5" verticaly. Then draw a line connecting the end points of the line.

Then type "zoom all" or select from the ribbon, this will set your limits automaticly.

Make sure you turn off the adaptive grid.

Demo 1.jpg

A size is 11 x 8.5"

Draw a border using polyline. start your line command > Select first point (enter 0,0 on the command line)> enter second point (11)> enter second point (8.5) draw an 11 inch line acros the top, press "c" to close. this will draw around the drawing area like you would be drawing the edge of a sheet of paper.

You can also draw an 11" line from 0,0 to 11 with ortho on. Offset this line 8.5" verticaly. Then draw a line connecting the end points of the line.

Then type "zoom all" or select from the ribbon, this will set your limits automaticly.

Make sure you turn off the adaptive grid.

lol well thank you for that ^.^ i obviously hadn't gotten to that point in my class yet, i appreciate your help

Your welcome:D

I will have a class full in the morning myself. Most of them are so far behind on the course work I do not think they will get caught up. I go in to help them anyway.

It also helps me to reinforce what I aloready know.

Your welcome:D

I will have a class full in the morning myself. Most of them are so far behind on the course work I do not think they will get caught up. I go in to help them anyway.

It also helps me to reinforce what I aloready know.

what grid/snap setting do you have on in that picture?

Looks like that about covers the drawing limits. Like I said before, I didn't know how or why to use it either. I consider my drawing limits to be what I can fit on an Arch D size paper.:wink: but I never actually set it.

I s'pose it has a value if you want to keep everything layed out in model space to fit on the page(s) but I don't work that way.

When you draw houses and surveys, everything is way bigger than the paper, and usually runs into the double digits of pages.

Looks like that about covers the drawing limits. Like I said before, I didn't know how or why to use it either. I consider my drawing limits to be what I can fit on an Arch D size paper.:wink: but I never actually set it.

I s'pose it has a value if you want to keep everything layed out in model space to fit on the page(s) but I don't work that way.

When you draw houses and surveys, everything is way bigger than the paper, and usually runs into the double digits of pages.

My Professors logic behind using limits is so you have a border around the drawing for notes or something.

My Professors logic behind using limits is so you have a border around the drawing for notes or something.

I have not used limits or grid/snap since 1987 or 88. (well maybe a couple of limited uses of grid/snap)

I have not used limits or grid/snap since 1987 or 88. (well maybe a couple of limited uses of grid/snap)

well to be honest, if that is true, that i am not going to use that stuff in the future, professionally, then i am relieved, because limits are a paint to me, grid and snap i don't really mind too much..kinda... it does get in the way at times. ^^

Please do not ignore the professor's requirements, of course.:D The drawing limits work best for 1:1 scale, that is pretty much my point.

Wouldn't want the notes hanging off the edges of the drawing. Has the Prof mentioned that you should account for the printable area being smaller than the actual paper size?

When working with an object that cannot be printed at full size, you can do the same thing, but you will have to multiply your printable area by the scale to get your limits size. That is a good reason to not bother. For instance, the drawing limits for a property survey printed on 24' x 36' paper at 1" - 100' scale would need to be 2350' x 3550' since the scale is 1 paper unit = 100 drawing units. That is right isn't it. Never could do math in my head.:wink:

I just draw, and then aim scaled paperspace viewports at the stuff that I want on a page.

Please do not ignore the professor's requirements, of course.:D The drawing limits work best for 1:1 scale, that is pretty much my point.

Wouldn't want the notes hanging off the edges of the drawing. Has the Prof mentioned that you should account for the printable area being smaller than the actual paper size?

When working with an object that cannot be printed at full size, you can do the same thing, but you will have to multiply your printable area by the scale to get your limits size. That is a good reason to not bother. For instance, the drawing limits for a property survey printed on 24' x 36' paper at 1" - 100' scale would need to be 2350' x 3550' since the scale is 1 paper unit = 100 drawing units. That is right isn't it. Never could do math in my head.:wink:

I just draw, and then aim scaled paperspace viewports at the stuff that I want on a page.

lol that's a lot of trees.

lol that's a lot of trees.

:lol:Yeah, thankfully showing the trees is not required. Only in special cases.:shock:

It was hard enough locating the 5 or 6 Verizon cable boxes, 4 electric transformers, two old school satelite dishes, 2 stone monuments, and three gravel driveways that meandered for several hundred feet.:sweat::sweat:

:lol:Yeah, thankfully showing the trees is not required. Only in special cases.:shock:

It was hard enough locating the 5 or 6 Verizon cable boxes, 4 electric transformers, two old school satelite dishes, 2 stone monuments, and three gravel driveways that meandered for several hundred feet.:sweat::sweat:

i meant the amount of wood needed to process that much paper to plot on, silly 8)