Modeling detailed objects

Shogun

Hey, i've been asked to model a few objects by a friend and i'm struggeling to figure out a decent way of modeling this one, i was just wounding if any of you had any suggestions as to how i might achive this without spending a hell of alot of time on it?

EDIT: Forget to say that it doesnt have to have 100% of the detail of it, but somewere near to it lol

Thanks in advance :)

Sho

thing_small.jpg

I would draw the basic outline in Autocad and then Import the line drawing into Max. From there, I would Extrude the shape and create a very simple base mesh. Then I would Export the model to .obj so I could Import it into ZBrush and sculpt the detail. Once finished, I would apply materials and paint it to match the photo, then Export out a low poly .obj along with my diffuse map, specular map, normal map, etc. Then bring it all back into Max. The entire process, for something like that, would probably take less than 3 hours.

You're hired! :P

Thank you, i think i'll do that but i don't need to worry about the materials/spec/normal maps, etc

I've started it already so should be done soon :)

thanks for the advice!

ZBrush is great for creating detailed organic models like the one shown above, but the learning curve is quite extensive. It's a completely different way of working and some people have a real problem adapting to the interface. You will also need a Wacom tablet in order to use ZBrush. You can't do it with a mouse.

But, you wouldn't use ZBrush for creating an entire architectural scene like you would in Max. ZBrush is more for creating objects to put into your Max scene.

Sorry for the slow reply...i've been working away :)

Just thought that i would post the 'finished' product up just to show off lol

Its not exactly the same, i only did the one corner and applied 2 mirror modifyers to cheat a bit :P

I did it all in Max...but i think i will try ZBrush sometime as i've got a Wacom tablet and Win7 really likes tablets now :P

thing-top.jpg

thing-3d.jpg

Looks pretty good. :thumbsup:

And applying mirror modifiers is not cheating, it's a valid productivity time saver that should always be used whenever possible. Although I would suggest using the Symmetry modifier instead. :wink:

It may just be personal preference, but this is how I like to work:

I use the Mirror modifier if I'm working on an object and I need a mirrored copy of that object. Like if I was creating a hand, I would Mirror it and then just work on the left hand and let the right hand develop based on the changes I make to the left.

I use the Symmetry modifier if I'm working on a section of a symmetrical object, like the one in the image above. I can apply a Symmetry modifier in X and another one in Y and then click the "Show End Result" button. This allows me to work on one quadrant of the model but still see the entire model develop as I move the vertices around. I've never been able to do this with the Mirror modifier.