Problem Saving Files in Autocad

ysheppard

Weird problem with saving files. We save all of our files to a server. When you make changes to a drawing and click on save, it appears the drawing is being saved. When you close the file and reopen it, the changes you made are not there as if the drawing did not, in fact, save. This is intermittent and does not happen every time. I thought at first it was various people really saving, but I actually just witnessed it for myself and it is actaully happening off and on just as described. Any ideas?

I've run into that a few times, it turned out that my connection to the server wasn't perfect.

There was a switch being used as a hub, and the way it was described to me; it switched to another person using the server at just that instant that AutoCAD was saving. AutoCAD doesn't verify that it's saved correctly, it just checks to see if you CAN save there, and then dumps it.. hoping it'll save there since it determined that it COULD.

To avoid that, I now work local and copy it to the server at lunchtime and at the end of the day. It works because no one else here would try and open those files while I've got them, so no danger of the same file being altered in two locations.

Similar stuff happened with other software when we had a brief power disruption.. I'm on a battery backup and so is the server, but it turned-out that one of the hubs along the way, wasn't. It was enough to mess-up the connection without letting me know the connection was bad.