3D Drawing Of An Impeller Blade

vertical horizons

How can I make a 3D drawing of the impeller blade? I have enclosed a 2D drawing of an Omega Thruster. I would like to create the blade that is on that thruster.

I tried going to "3D Sketch" mode, then selecting the Helix Curve command. Either I don't understand how to properly use that command, or maybe that isn't the way to go about it. The Helix Curve command gave me a curved line that rotated around the shaft, but it remained a 2D line. How would you make it into a 3D model?

Omega Thruster.zip

... A simple 2d sketch and the coil operation looks perfect for this.

I searched the 'help' section in IV. For coils, it shows how to make a coil, but not a flat one like you made. What steps did you take to create it?

What steps did you take to create it?

The steps are preserved in the history tree in the browser.

Create a rectangle.

Select the Coil command, select the rotation axis and enter the desired specifications on the second tab.

You should be able to reverse-engineer the part Shift attached.

First i created a rectangle which represented the cross section of the blade. It doesnt have to be a rectangle but in this case it was close enough(without more detail on the actual blade). From there I used the Coil feature command. Selected my rectangle sketch, and for the axis of revolution one of the origin axis. In my case i think it was Y. Then i just tell it what the pitch is and how many turns. I drew that in an older version of inventor(iv11) because i have 2010 at home and you wouldnt be able to open those files BUT the procedure will be the same. I added the shaft and the circular array for the other blade just for you to see, but if you take the End Of Part marker and drag it up you can see just the blade.

First i created a rectangle which represented the cross section of the blade. It doesnt have to be a rectangle but in this case it was close enough(without more detail on the actual blade). From there I used the Coil feature command. Selected my rectangle sketch, and for the axis of revolution one of the origin axis. In my case i think it was Y. Then i just tell it what the pitch is and how many turns ...

Thanks for the instructions.

Works great. And a whole lot easier than I thought.