RC Constrains

legos

This is my progress so far, currently nothing moves, everything is just stuck...

Where do I put the next ball link, under or above the actuator arm like I circled?

Capture.PNG

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shift1313

• legos

• kencaz

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You still didnt remove the Right angle end of the rod and put another rod end on the other side. Ill have a look at it shortly.

No. The servo won't move. Its stuck. And I'm really confused.

Check that nothing is grounded.

grnded.png

Does the ball joint rotate freely? That is what needs to take up the lateral movement because your arm moves through a radius on the servo side.

You could eliminate this problem if you could just rotate your server arm vertically 90 degrees...

rodend.gif

Alright I found a few problems. Your aileron was grounded. Your rod ends need to be flexible since they are sub-assemblies other wise they will not function properly. And you need to modify your rod. Also the bracket on your aileron is still not located, its free to move around on the surface of the wing.

WingSN3.jpg

WingSN4.jpg

WingSN5.jpg

I will also note, it has been said a few times already, if you rotate your actuator so it moves in the same plane as the arm on your aileron you will have far fewer problems. Think of a 4 bar linkage setup.

Are you trying to design an RC plane or are you doing this as an exercise?

Alright I found a few problems. Your aileron was grounded. Your rod ends need to be flexible since they are sub-assemblies other wise they will not function properly. And you need to modify your rod. Also the bracket on your aileron is still not located, its free to move around on the surface of the wing.

How do you make metal rods flexible? And I'm still not sure what a aileron bracket is.

Can you send what you edited? I can't understand without looking at the model.

The aileron bracket is the one i pointed to in the screen shot.

To make a sub assembly flexible, right click on it. The pop up menu will say flexible, just click there. A check mark will appear next to flexible and in your feature tree you will have a new icon next to the assemblies name. Making it flexible means that the assembly constraints you have in the sub-assembly are able to work. If its not flexible, it acts as a single part.

Ive added the assembly file and the modified rod. I didnt edit any other parts so the assembly should work if you use the rest of your parts.

I did not fix the aileron bracket, i simply modified your rod, un-grounded the aileron, added another rod end and made both those sub-assemblies flexible.

WingSN5.jpg

Assembly.zip

Part2.zip

Okay,for some reason, my rod can't be flexible and I had remove the "insert" constrain, when I tried to re-add it gave me an error.

kencaz, how did you make those animated pictures?

Capture.jpg

Okay,for some reason, my rod can't be flexible and I had remove the "insert" constrain, when I tried to re-add it gave me an error.

kencaz, how did you make those animated pictures?

its not the rod that needs to be flexible, that is only a part. The sub assemblies are what need to be flexible so the constraints you place on them within their assembly file, so the rod ends

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you bit off more than you can chew on this project. I think there are some basic concepts that you need to grasp before an assembly like this. I don't know that you ever answered some of my questions like are you designing an rc airplane or just doing this as a learning exercise. Did you open the assembly file I linked to a previous post? You asked me to post it but I dont recall you mentioning anything past that. All the constraints worked. It still looks as though you have not modified the rod by removing the right angle end from it which ive mentioned at least twice and modified the part and attached it to my earlier post.

Ill try to throw together a simple example(maybe tonight) and upload it for you to look at.

Oh and Kencaz, since you dont have 2010, here is a screen shot of what I uploaded.

Thanks Matt.

That looks like a lot easier to constrain and will be lighter as well..

KC