Plotting large layouts, and nothing appears

rossuwp00

Hi there,

So here's the question. When I try to plot certain files (usually very large files), often times nothing comes out. I get the message that no errors occurred during the plot, but the printer simply gives me a blank sheet of paper. when I try a work around, by plotting to pdf first, and then plotting to the printer, I still get a blank PDF. At first, I thought the on board memory of the printer couldn't accomodate the size of the file, but now I have no clue what is going on. Any advice?

When did the problem first occur?

Did you have the capability to plot large files and then mysteriously lose it?

What make/model plotter are you using?

Are you sure all layers of the drawing are set to plot and were not accidently switched off?

Smorales02>>Yeah, when I check my preview, I do have the picture there, as it should print out.

ReMark>>

When did the problem first occur?

*** This problem has always occured. It's been happen to my boss' as well.

Did you have the capability to plot large files and then mysteriously lose it?

***Sometimes, when I restart my computer, and work through AutoCAD only (no other apps open), I can get my files to print. However, this trick has begun to work less and less.

What make/model plotter are you using?

***Sharp AR-M45ou+ is our printer we use for ledger size sheets. However, we also have a xerox Textronix I use when I simply want 8.5x11 sheets.

Are you sure all layers of the drawing are set to plot and were not accidently switched off?

****I checked the layers and they are all set to print.

Another note: I just tried printing the file that I printed yesterday, and it worked fine. No one else is in the office. Could it be a networking issue? I know we pretty much max out our bandwidth as it is already.

Try printing the same file after everyone has settled in for the day and see what your results are. You may end up answering your own question.

Are any printers wholly dedicated to and/or used exclusively by the CAD department? How many CAD users total?

We purposely keep out large format printer (HP Designjet 500) out of the loop (network-wise). However, two other Xerox laserjet printers (one handles 8.5x11; the other 8.5x14 and 11x17) are accessed by 12 different people throughout the day and everyone gets what they expect out of each printer.

cpriedel>>>I just tried that. However, my printer is not a full size plotter. It just works with 11x17 and smaller. I tried looking under properties (both in printer control panel and within AutoCAD.) No luck:( Thanks for the idea though.

ReMark>>>With regards to the printers, we have three CAD users who use it regularly; however, a total of 5 users access the printers on a regular basis (not including our plotter).

I'll try later this afternoon with a printing a large file. I've also called our tech support for help. Maybe he'll have an idea. Thanks.