Problem with knurling

harley558

Some of the wheels I design are to receive knurling on the beadseat and on the backsection. If I do not show the knurling on the 3D drawing sometimes the people in the shop assume that the wheel does not receive any knurling. I can put knurling on the wheel but the way i do it makes my file fairly large. It creates 550 occurences to produce the knurling. Is there any suggestions out there where I can produce the knurling without having a large number of occurences or possibly other methods of producing the knurling.

Use the Metal-Knurled texture on the face to be knurled (you might have to Split Face first). Then be sure to use proper notation on drawing.

Post a file if you can't figure it out.

• 5 months later...
Some of the wheels I design are to receive knurling on the beadseat and on the backsection. If I do not show the knurling on the 3D drawing sometimes the people in the shop assume that the wheel does not receive any knurling. I can put knurling on the wheel but the way i do it makes my file fairly large. It creates 550 occurences to produce the knurling. Is there any suggestions out there where I can produce the knurling without having a large number of occurences or possibly other methods of producing the knurling.

Here's a Knurl I created by first using the helix LISP routine Here:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-1396.html

to generate a 30 degree-angle path just above the surface of the cylinder and then extruding a small (cutting) equalateral triangle along the path.

A polar array was then created every 4 degrees of this extrusion (creating 90 triangle helix solids) and then subtracted from the cylinder.

To complete the diamond knurling pattern, the procedure was duplicated in the opposite direction. It takes a little time to do it but in the end it does look nice:

Equatorial Drive Wheel 2s.png

This is an Inventor question, not an AutoCAD one catseyman.

Custom Texture and proper notation is the way to go. You could even put a shaded view on the print so they knew it had to be knurled.

• 2 years later...

(for Inventor 2012 as far as I know) Right click on the surface you want knurl, click on properties, you should get a face properties dialog box, hit the face color style flyout arrow and a metal(knurled) option should be there. This is a predefined pattern, don't think you can change it.