Typing in an exact measurement?

Adacc

I'm sorry if this seems like noob question but I am getting frustrated with this. I am trying to draw a replica of a tool that has exact measurements. How do I type in "3 inches," and get it draw a line exactly 3 inches? I know I can point and click but that is very frustrating. My only experience with AutoCad was the 2002 version way back in high school. I've just received the 30 day trial version of AutoDesk Inventor Professional 2010 and so much has changed. Please help me with my (probably) simple question.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• Adacc

• kencaz

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I currently use AutoCAD r2011 so the steps may be a little different. But first make sure you have your drawing units set. For most of the work I do I use Architectural, but you have several choices. At the command prompt just type "units" and a dialog box should appear that lets you chose. Once you have your units set your ready to start. At the command prompt type "L" and hit enter, this will start the line command. Next follow the prompts by first picking a starting point. Now you can either type in your direction and distances at the command prompt: @90, 3" ( @90(direction/degrees), 3" (line length)). Or you can move your cross hairs in the direction you want the line to go and just type in a distance.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Inventor is NOT Autocad! Sketches are only used to define geometry. Don't get them confused with the drawings that you would have produced with Autocad.

First you 'sketch' a line (right now it's length is not important) Then you add a a dimension parameter to define it's length.

Check out the Tutorials in the 'Get Stated' Tab

Tutorials.png

PS: Inventor 2011 has 'head up display' which allows you to create dimension parameters 'On the fly'

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Product_Help/Autodesk_Inventor/Autodesk_Inventor_2011/103Parts/12322Dsketches/1242UsingDynamicInputSk

You need to turn on the Precise Input bar. select Sketch tab, Draw panel, Precise Input. You have to select a sketch command like line, circle, arc, etc... In the ribbon menu it's hiding in the draw tab that you need to pull down to select it. You then can change options how the x, y, z, D, and angle coordinates work. Inventor isn't AutoCAD, but it would be a very restrictive tool if you couldn't input geometry by coordinates and distance. Although this may be blasphemous, there are reasons not to constrain geometry!

.... but it would be a very restrictive tool if you couldn't input geometry by coordinates and distance. ..... there are reasons not to constrain geometry!

Post examples that support these claims.

I'm not saying "not constraining" is good practice. But the program allows different ways to do things that could be a benifit in certain instances. Let's say I have a bunch of points and their x,y coordinates. I can input them at the exact cooridinates through the toolbar much faster than popping in the points, adding dimensions, then editing them. This is useful if I know I'm not going to change the geometry, maybe I only need to see where the points land, that I'm going to throw the file away after I get what I need, or the boss wants something yesterday!

I could go on and come up with numerous other example, but the thing is, is that I wouldn't send or leave unconstrained geometry to someone else to deal with, but for my own purposes, once in a while it's a fine thing to do. But only if I know what I am doing, why I am doing it, and what the implications of me doing it will be.

For someone learning the program using best practices is best. But hey, he wanted to know if lines could be drawn using coordinates, and well, yes they can.

Let's say I have a bunch of points and their x,y coordinates. I can input them at the exact cooridinates through the toolbar much faster ....

I would probably type them in Excel and import much faster than using the Precise Input toolbar. But first a beginner should know how to use Inventor without the Precise Input (and does not even (should not even) need to know it exists). Of course 2011 eliminated much of the need, but it is important for beginners to get off on the right foot. I have had far more trouble trying to retrain bad practices (or AutoCAD workflows in Inventor) than doing it right from the beginning. There are a lot of techniques an experienced user might use that a beginner should avoid until mastering the basics.

Thank you all for your help and input, but I am still lost. I attempted to try a few of the methods mentioned but they didn't work or were not was I was looking for. I think my best solution is going to be obtaining a copy of the regular AutoCad. It is so much easier just to push "3" and then enter, "2.5" and then enter, and then so on.

Its really rather simple. You sketch a line and dimension it. If you have the dimensions set to be edited as soon as you apply them to the line it really is pretty quick. If you need the line at a certain angle you need construction lines.

Maybe you could tell us which tool you are trying to model?

.. regular AutoCad. It is so much easier just to push "3" and then enter, "2.5" and then enter, and then so on.

No, actually it is harder in AutoCAD. In AutoCAD you typed in those distances and later you dimension. Two steps. In Inventor you type in those distances and the part is dimensioned. One step.

You should sign up for training. Every AutoCAD user goes through the same frustration you are experiencing. Once they learn the correct way they never look back. Going back to an ancient program like AutoCAD seems like pure torture.

BTW - in Inventor 2011 they have made it work like AutoCAD because so many people had trouble with this. I still have to remind myself that I can do it the AutoCAD way.

What do you mean "Dimension it?"

And how do I set it to be edited as soon as I apply it?

The tool is actually a new tool that we have developed. It is rather simple so I thought I could do the drawings myself but it is proving rather frustrating.

This is what i do typically. I will not get into constraining the sketch yet.

In inventor 2010 and earlier you draw the line first then define its length. If drawing a rectangle, you draw the 4 lines and use the dimension command (alias is "d") and select the line. An modifiable dimension will appear and this is where you define the size of your line.

I typically draw one line, dimension it to set get a general idea of the size of the object and draw the general shape, and add all the dimensions needed after that.

When I run tutorials I typically ask if anyone has used AutoCAD before, if they have, i tell them to forget everything they know and pretend to start from scratch lol. In AutoCAD you set the length of the lines AS you drew them, in Inventor you draw the line then define its size.

When I run tutorials I typically ask if anyone has used AutoCAD before, if they have, i tell them to forget everything they know and pretend to start from scratch lol.

That is funny, but why on earth would you say something like that. AutoCAD is beneficial not a hindrance. First of all, You, (and most others), are comparing a direct modeling program to a parametric modeler. They just work differently that's all. Depending on what I am trying to accomplish, AutoCAD may be more appropriate and since I am using Inventor 2009 I don't have muli-body solids so AutoCAD can certainly be faster for concept work.

All I'm saying is just because you have Inventor is no reason distance yourself from AutoCAD.

KC

Well, thank you all for the help. I just downloaded the actual AutoCad program and I am perfectly happy. It is 10x times easier than learning all of this dimensioning stuff for Inventor.

It is 10x times easier than learning all of this dimensioning stuff for Inventor.

Uhhmm how so? There are several dimension tools in AutoCAD? One for radius, one for diameter, one for angle, now for linear - why all of these dimension tools? Don't you have to dimension in AutoCAD?

Uhhmm how so? There are several dimension tools in AutoCAD? One for radius, one for diameter, one for angle, now for linear - why all of these dimension tools? Don't you have to dimension in AutoCAD?

Well, for one, I don't have to read a bunch of tutorial info to find out what a dimension tool is or how to use it. If there is one for radius, diameter, angle and now linear, that appears to be a lot of reading. I'm in a bit of a rush to get these drawings done and don't have time to read countless pages of tutorial information that may or may not be what I am looking for. Since downloading AutoCad 2011 I know I found what I was looking for.

But anyways, again, thank you for your help and incite. As far as this question is concerned, I am satisfied, but chances are, I will have more.

Well, for one, I don't have to read a bunch of tutorial info to find out what a dimension tool is or how to use it. If there is one for radius, diameter, angle and now linear, that appears to be a lot of reading. .

Uhmm, I was referring to AutoCAD. Next generation 3D CAD programs like Inventor dimension all of those enitites from one dimension tool. It should be obvious when selecting a circle to do dia, an arc to do radius, two lines at an angle to do angle, a line or two linear distances horizontal, vertical or aligned. One dimension tool. AutoCAD, man is that complicated.

So you know AutoCAD, use it for this job, but when you get more time start learning Inventor. Once you learn how much easier Inventor is than AutoCAD you will never look back. Been there, done that......