• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• Adacc

• kencaz

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have the opportunity to learn Inventor, do it, do it now! It's for your own benefit and career. AutoCAD as we know it now, should be dead and gone I'd say within ten years. For mechanical design and drafting a proficient Inventor user (or any other sketch based solid modeler) will smoke a proficient AutoCAD user. Inventor and other solid modelers are evolving, rendering AutoCAD even more obselete. Inventor is to AutoCAD, as AutoCAD is to the drafting board. My gosh, AutoCAD still has the dreaded flashing prompt window, expecting you to know what to type and to know hidden commands! The last time I had to deal with that, was with Computervision (Confusionvision) CADDS IV, circa 1985.

That is funny, but why on earth would you say something like that. AutoCAD is beneficial not a hindrance. First of all, You, (and most others), are comparing a direct modeling program to a parametric modeler. They just work differently that's all. Depending on what I am trying to accomplish, AutoCAD may be more appropriate and since I am using Inventor 2009 I don't have muli-body solids so AutoCAD can certainly be faster for concept work.

All I'm saying is just because you have Inventor is no reason distance yourself from AutoCAD.

KC

The tutorials I run are with grade 9-10 students. They try and use Inventor like they would AutoCAD. They use it as a drafting program rather than a parametric modeling program. I tell them to forget what they know because if they don't they never understand the concept. I'm sure you remember being 14-15 yrs old trying to learn something new, everything you know about something else hinders your ability to learn. Also, these kids have only spent 4 months TOPS on AutoCAD by this time and only for an hour a day. The tutorials I give are also only 2-3 days (enough to show them the basics of part modeling, assemblies and drawings).

If you have the opportunity to learn Inventor, do it, do it now! It's for your own benefit and career. AutoCAD as we know it now, should be dead and gone I'd say within ten years. For mechanical design and drafting a proficient Inventor user (or any other sketch based solid modeler) will smoke a proficient AutoCAD user. Inventor and other solid modelers are evolving, rendering AutoCAD even more obselete. Inventor is to AutoCAD, as AutoCAD is to the drafting board. My gosh, AutoCAD still has the dreaded flashing prompt window, expecting you to know what to type and to know hidden commands! The last time I had to deal with that, was with Computervision (Confusionvision) CADDS IV, circa 1985.

Obviously you have not used AutoCAD to any extent, (at least in 3D) to make these assumptions! I can draw just as fast in AutoCAD as Inventor... It really only boils down to what you have to accomplish, not that one is better then the other.

these kids have only spent 4 months TOPS on AutoCAD by this time and only for an hour a day. The tutorials I give are also only 2-3 days (enough to show them the basics of part modeling, assemblies and drawings).

I think trying to un-teach,

I think trying to un-teach,

The issue is I have to base this around my school schedule. It is very to take time off of school at the beginning of the semester. Also, they have all of the theory at the beginning of the semester which allows them to get the basics of dimensioning and drawing standards under their belt. I forgot to mention this before, but I only want them to forget AutoCAD for those couple of days only so it does not interfere. Most of the course is based on AutoCAD as the instructor is an architect, I only go in to show them because he has never used Inventor either:P Its fun teaching a formal teacher.

Obviously you have not used AutoCAD to any extent, (at least in 3D) to make these assumptions!

Hmmm, wonder what that says about me. Guess I am an AutoCAD amateur. I hate AutoCAD 3D with a passion. So archaic.

Hmmm, wonder what that says about me. Guess I am an AutoCAD amateur. I hate AutoCAD 3D with a passion. So archaic.

That statement was directed to one individual not in general... Most don't like AutoCAD 3D, I already know your feelings on that subject. I happen to find it very efficient in many cases. I don't like SolidWorks either, but that does not mean I can't use it. Just a preference thing.

I do seem to see a lot of AutoCAD 3D bashing by people who really have never tried or have given up on it.

KC