Which 3d package do I use?

manchest

Hi

I want to learn how to draw in 3D, but can not decide which software to start using.

I have been using AutoCAD LT for the pass 10 years.

The main reason I want to use 3D is to improve presentation in Our tender documents. My company install new power cables in electricty substations, usally the cables are placed in ducts. I want to produce a drawing that shows these ducts under ground, particulary where an existing service crosses are cable route. Also I want it to look realistic rather than just using a hatch and picking a coulour (is that rendering) I would also like to draw some fairly simple steel structures 2m high singal trusses, with all our equipment attached.

When I first thought of this I was just going to use AutoCAD, but the seems to be so many other simlar packages that Autodesk do that I am totaly lost as to which one to use. Is standard AutoCAD going out? would it be suitable for doing the drawings I want to do, or do I need to use another package?

Thank you for your help

Mark

Personally, I still do alot of my 3d work in autocad and then import it to sketch up..its free. :) Well, if its simplicity that you are after anyway. But it depends on the level of realism and the amount of time you are willing to spend on these drawings.

i dont see why you cant use autocad but i have seen some people in here will model in one software, take it into 3ds max for modeling, then another software for rendering. Inventor makes a pretty nice drawing.

How much of a budget do you have to work with? $500? $5000?

How eager are you to learn an entire new piece of software and not just some brand new (to you) commands? This would be an AutoDesk versus Other type question.

Will you be sharing these drawings with other companies? If so, will they have the necessary software to view and/or work with them?

I guess I am looking for a software that is fairly easy to learn the commands, which is why I thinking of AutoCAD as I already know the 2D commands. I want the drawings to look realistic but do not want to spend hours on getting this effect, I need something that looks good in a short time.

I was looking at getting AutoCad which is around £3000 ($5500). I am eager to learn 3D drawing, my company is willing to send me on training courses.

I want to be able to create a PDF of my drawings to send to our clients at tender stage. Most of our clients require a AutoCAD format copy of our drawing when we get to construction drawings, so I would have to be an Autodesk software that I can save as AutoCAD.

Can a drawing created in AutoCAD with 3D views be opened in AutoCAD LT?

Thanks again for your help

AutoCAD 2008 & Sketchup work very well together and commands are similar - i personally already knew the fundamentals of autocad 3d then went onto sketchup. Now back onto Cad 3d and doing well.

i normally do the 2d section in cad then export it into sketchup to make it into a 3d model.

But now autoCAD 2008 is just as easy to do 3d with the new 3d commands similar to sketchup.

AutoCAD (full version) 3D drawings can be viewed in AutoCAD LT. They are not considered true 3D drawings however when it comes to manipulating/editing them.

If you decide to go with full AutoCAD you could look at using Accurender which is quite a bit cheaper than some of the other rendering software out there.

Not sure I understand what rendering is, is it the final touch that gives material a realistic look?

Also can you do any rendering in the full version of AutoCAD?

Not sure I understand what rendering is, is it the final touch that gives material a realistic look?

Also can you do any rendering in the full version of AutoCAD?

Yes & yes :D

That's correct. Yes, you can render in the full version of AutoCAD. AutoDesk has made some improvements in the rendering engine. Your output may not be equal to someone who uses a program like 3ds Max Design but it just depends on what level of quality you really need to attain. Who will be viewing these renders and what purpose will they ultimately serve?

Hi again

Is there anwhere on the forum or on the internet that I can find examples of 3D drawings produced with just AutoCAD, preferable of pipes, ducts, or simple steel structures (2d example below). So I can show my manager the type of drawing we will be able to produce.

example.pdf

Not sure about piping really, but I should have mentioned Accurender earlier. As I said in my previous post, I'm most comfortable modelign in autocad, and this is a plug in so no need to export it or anything. Haven't used it myself for awhile, but they got it in the office here and the ersults are pretty nice. Would post link, but I'm not allowed yet.

Are you looking for shaded or rendered AutoCAD drawings? There are bound to be some of both on this website. Did you check the tutorials?

You should also check out the Showcase threads. Keep in mind that not all the images were rendered using plain old AutoCAD.