Help on very tricky Flange, please.

ThomasT1976

Flange.zip

What, you sleep in Denmark? You can sleep when they bury you.:lol:

Yes, I need a little sleep after a long week. Tuesday I was at work from 8.00 to 01.30 = 17½ hour, working on a bioethanol-facility which should be shipped to Japan soon.

I really appriciate your help.

I'll just try to upload the dxf-file again.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• ThomasT1976

• shift1313

• MrJoshua

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Thomas,

There seems to be a problem with the forums, i have tried to attach stuff for the past week, and it just disapears randomly, whole posts aswell as attachments.

Im just keeping up posting them, hopefully one will show up one day :)

I just realized my solution was all wrong. It would be too expensive to manufacture like I designed it. This flange would be made from two parts welded together. An 18mm plate machined and then bent, and a second machined hub welded to the bent plate. I am going to assume a weld bead in the bore hole as well as the outside weld. Then a post-welding machining operation to clean up the bore and to get star feature and threaded holes.

Give me a bit of time to work up new solution. If you have any additional information along the lines of my new solution based on what you know about the part(s), please share everything you know.

I just realized my solution was all wrong. It would be too expensive to manufacture like I designed it. This flange would be made from two parts welded together. An 18mm plate machined and then bent, and a second machined hub welded to the bent plate. I am going to assume a weld bead in the bore hole as well as the outside weld. Then a post-welding machining operation to clean up the bore and to get star feature and threaded holes.

Give me a bit of time to work up new solution. If you have any additional information along the lines of my new solution based on what you know about the part(s), please share everything you know.

We only need one and I know that the machine shop have an advanced mill which can do it in one piece. If it was a mass production it was another case. What you have done until know is just right.

For the mill the shop need an *.ipt or *.iges. I'll start to do what you explained to me yesterday now.

Link to machine shop (translated with google): http://kortlink.dk/846b

Link to my work: www.proeng.dk

Your first solution was good, because there is only to be made one example. If it was at mass production it was another case.

You did your sketches very slightly different than I did. I had a centerline (normal, not construction) in each sketch to close the loop.

But the way you have it works too if you -

select Surface output rather than solid when doing the Loft

click Closed Loop

Click Sketch1 then Sketch4 (twice, because Sketch4 has multiple geometry the first pick selects the sketch and the second pick selects the geometry)

then keep going around to get the final two sketches

Click to add Rails and click the circle.

OK

This will create a surface body.

Use the Sculpt or Stitch command to form solid.

Let me know if you can't get it to work.

I found a very big problem!!.....Inventor 2009. When I did it in ver. 2011 it worked with no problems! Now I hope that the customer can use the 2011-file. I also shipped him a IGES-file (he asked for it, because the mill eats that too). Is a IGES-file standard whatever Inventor version you are using?

Again thank you for the work and hints you did!! Now it is time for weekend, have a good one!!

I also shipped him a IGES-file (he asked for it, because the mill eats that too). Is a IGES-file standard whatever Inventor version you are using?

If the customer has Inventor I would have saved as STEP rather than IGES.

If I were to save as IGES I would have selected Options and set the output to Solids rather than surfaces.

The person on the other end can (and Inventor will probably automatically) convert IGES surfaces to solids on open, but to remove one more possible problem I would simply be sure to save as IGES solids (or better yet, save to STEP format).

I hope you used the thread option within the Hole command rather than adding thread features later (I see a lot of people drill a 16mm hole for an M16 thread instead of using tap drill size. If you use the Hole command thread option you aviod this common mistake.)

If the customer has Inventor I would have saved as STEP rather than IGES.

If I were to save as IGES I would have selected Options and set the output to Solids rather than surfaces.

The person on the other end can (and Inventor will probably automatically) convert IGES surfaces to solids on open, but to remove one more possible problem I would simply be sure to save as IGES solids (or better yet, save to STEP format).

I hope you used the thread option within the Hole command rather than adding thread features later (I see a lot of people drill a 16mm hole for an M16 thread instead of using tap drill size. If you use the Hole command thread option you aviod this common mistake.)

I emailed him a STEP too. If he calls about the IGES, I now know what to do ;-)

Used the hole-thread option, so no problem there.