Insert Block using Lisp...HELP!!!!!????!!!!!!!

Chevy

ok, I have went out and bought Autocadets guide to visual lisp. I think my problem is understanding the math, I know how to draw it but i dont know how to incorporate the math. I guess i dont understand the math in general.

(1/SIN 105 degrees)

now i want to break this down, 1 divided by sin this is the line right? @ 105 degrees? See Im still trying to figure out how did you know to use sin?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chevy

• BlackBox

• JohnM

• The Buzzard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I allready have these two routines, I have worked and worked with them before but cant modify them to work . Thanks though Buzzard. Im just really frustrated with this thing. but, i guess thats how it goes.

Ok, I was not sure. There are lots of these programs around and different ways to get certain results. Give it time and try not to get frustrated. If you think about it there could be something in them that may give you some clues. You really need to get acclimated to the lisp enviorment to make it easier for you to study them within your own time.

I am not sure if you got this one. It is for stair steel pans. There maybe something in this one as well. Just thought it might be of some use. This one was at CADCORNER also.

ssp_v25.zip

ok, I have went out and bought Autocadets guide to visual lisp. I think my problem is understanding the math, I know how to draw it but i dont know how to incorporate the math. I guess i dont understand the math in general.

(1/SIN 105 degrees)

now i want to break this down, 1 divided by sin this is the line right? @ 105 degrees? See Im still trying to figure out how did you know to use sin?

Maybe this will help... the top diagram is a generalization of the trig function SINE; the bottom is more specific to the posted code for riser length

Drawing2.jpg

Here is why i thought it would be easy, The only dimension that will vary is

the RSR. So I thought "all i gotta do is" write something to draw all other lines and ask for a variable distance for the RSR. So, maybe in the next 2 years ill get it started. lol

untitled.JPG

All other Dimensions are constants. Would it be easier to make a routine that will draw this one time and wblock it then copy from point to point?

Edited by Chevy
additional info

Anyone ever feel like lisp has control over your dreams?:unsure:

Yes, well i tried writing this routine at home and tried and tried and poof, nothing.

All I got for it is my only dog ran away from home yesterday. Not thinkin to great today.:x

Maybe if you were a bit more specific on what your problem is (about the lisp, not the dog). It's kinda hard to help when "poof, nothing" is the basis to work from.

I cant figure out how to write this program. I put in numbers and points and get lines going all over the place or not at all (mostly) not at all. And I kinda like my dog.

I cant figure out how to write this program. I put in numbers and points and get lines going all over the place or not at all (mostly) not at all.

Post your code (the stuff you wrote from home, or the latest version).

We can't (won't?) help without you making it easier for us to help... we're not playing twenty questions here. Post your code, ask specific questions (where you can) and hopefully learn from your mistakes. Make sense?

And I kinda like my dog.

While it (your situation) is unfortunate, this is not the appropriate forum for this kind of banter (pun intended). The more you can stay on topic, the more effective the help (you receive) will be, mate.

Well here is on topic, I dont fully understand what has been told to me on this thread, (again i write) How do i know what calculations to use and when to use them?

Chevy,

Everyone here is here to help but you have to address the questions they have asked.

When asking a question or replying to a question, it helps to be as detailed as possible.

If you don’t know the calculations how do you draw the stairs normally?

You have been asked to post a complete set of stairs from a couple of people and have not done it. This will help people to understand and figure out the best way to approach the issue(s).

This is not that difficult if you break it down. First I would forget about the block for now and look at the basic overall design.

You basically have a zig-zag line with rectangles on it

First work on the zig-zag line and figure out the math. If you draw these stairs in AutoCAD you should be able to figure it out.

Then once the zig-zag is figured out the rectangles will be easy

Now go stand in the corner for 10 minutes then you can rejoin the class.

stair example.dwg

Above is the attached standard stair we use it has 7" risers which would vary based on user input, I know the numbers to draw it but incorporating them into lisp is my trouble.

P.S. my office doesnt have corners, its round.

Edit: Well said, JohnM.

[ATTACH]23481[/ATTACH]

Above is the attached standard stair we use it has 7" risers which would vary based on user input, I know the numbers to draw it but incorporating them into lisp is my trouble.

Thanks for the drawing, Chevy, we'll have a much better understanding of what you're end-state is (especially those of us who are not in your industry)... now how's about that code you worked on this weekend (we'd like to see where you're having trouble), bud?

Im going to have to play it by ear and try and rewrite it, its on my comp. at home. So ill try and work with it for a little bit if thats ok.? Im tring to juggle programming and working so its kinda tough but thats alright

Im just trying to use that original "TEST" routine written on page 4 of this thread and do my numbers in that, but still having problems, I actually have a bit of a learning disability in math which i think is my problem. I get very overwhelmed when it comes to numbers that are not being used routinely.

Im going to have to play it by ear and try and rewrite it, its on my comp. at home. So ill try and work with it for a little bit if thats ok.?

Nope... you've got to post your code right now, or we all leave you hanging.

"No [Code from] You![?] ... Back of the line!"

Im tring to juggle programming and working so its kinda tough but thats alright

That is exactly why many of us have been 'enthusiastic' about your answering questions, posting code, etc.

We're working too, and the longer you take (beyond reasonable, as defined by each member) the less time we're going to volunteer to help, bud. Now that doesn't mean go to the other extreme either (i.e., spending more time here than working) by any means. Find an acceptable balance, where you can. :wink:

Put together your code, and be sure to post it when you can. Many times, we cannot help you if we cannot see where you're making a mistake, forgetting to check for something, etc.

No worries, we're here to help (others are more helpful than I, but still).

I appreciate it and i guess i have to post it since using the old excuse, "the dog ate my homework is not going to work." I will get it on here as soon as i can.