A Little Help With, I Think An Intersecting Curve Please (Inventor)

Josh_K

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shift1313

• Josh_K

• JD Mather

• Pablo Ferral

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Josh,

Do your dimensions represent the "part" or the mold to make the part?

I assume this is the part that will be molded.

I didn't see any indication of face draft.

Chock Mold.jpg

Edited by JD Mather

Josh, just wondering if you were able to work through what i posted.
Hey Matt,

I've literally just finished it, luckily the client extended the deadline till today. (I know a client extending a dealine and not reducing it for once, I didn't know existed :)).

Attached below is one of the versions of the mould, I think I managed to do something that worked using your absolutely amazing (and idiot proof) guide Matt. Obviously not as good as your one, but hey I hope they get the idea. I honestly can't thankyou enough for taking the time to take all the screenies, and clearly explain it, that even this CAD monkey could understand. :)

Choc-Mould.jpg

Just waiting for the client to get back to me now. Will let you guys know if it goes any futher.

Do your dimensions represent the "part" or the mold to make the part?
Hey JD. Yeah the dimensions and the drawings are for the part only and not the mould. At the minute the client just wanted some visuals for the look of the chocolate bar, a mould drawing may be needed in the future, but I'm not too sure how much I will be involved in that at the minute. I havent got any experience in that field, so I'm not sure. I did however have a look on your site at your mould/casting tutorial, seemed fairly "straightforward" (but probably isnt, lol). I may have to pick your guys brains again if it goes down that road, which it likely will do. :)

This may be an inapropriate question to ask, (so please point me to some where that gives info on this, or tell me to mind my own business) but I was just wondering, do you guys get funded for helping out on this forum? I noticed David Watson is the creator of this wonderful forum to help people like me.

Anyway, I dont mean to pry, I only ask because I am hugely thankful, touched and truely amazed by the help I recieved in such a short space of time with my dilema from complete strangers. And if you guys and others on here, are doing this off your own backs, then my lord you guys deserve huge pat's on the back for your efforts here.

@Matt, thankyou again mate. I honestly cant thankyou enough!!!! I honestly cant!! You were there in my moment of need.

J

PS: Btw, is it 'mold' or 'mould'? lol.

Looks good josh! glad you got it all sorted out for the client in time:) For your file to be mold-able you would just need some draft on the side wall(maybe). Since the chocolate is poured hot and probably the molds are chilled they will skin/shrink and draft may not be needed. The only experience ive had with chocolate molds were thermoformed molds that the chocolate could be pushed out.

At any rate no we dont get paid for helping:) But without the site here we wouldnt be here either so if you feel the need there is a 'make a donation' button at the top just below "links". Helping in itself is rewarding, presents us with problems we may not normally encounter and keeps us all sharp(rusty but sharp) :). I dont use inventor much but JD and other on here know it like the back of their hands and its really a great place to get any question answered you can think of:)

Ok I'm back (again) :ouch:

The client got back to me yesterday with amends to the drawing :cry:

Basically they have asked for a draft (taper) on the sides of the bars (as you guys warned me about). They also want diagonal cuts through one of the bar, and also on both bars they would like each chocolate section to be seperated more.

I'll attach some pic's to help explain .

What I need to do:

1.Choc-Explained.jpg

The below cut outs are what Im struggling with.

2.Choc-Explained.jpg

So I would really love some guidance on where I should be splitting the faces, and what edges to loft to one another (similar to shifty's drawings). Or if there is a simpler way of doing this.

I hope that all makes sence. Any help would be greatfully apreciated.

J

PS: Ive also attached the inventor part file (2010) in its current state, before cutting the sections out and curving the two ends (which I can do, but leaving till the end). If it is easier for anyone to just have a play with that and see if they can do the extra cuts into the choc sections.

Choc Bar E2 JK.zip

Josh ill take a look at your file later but this type of thing is much easier to do before you fillet anything. The blend you are trying to make is a little more complicated than the one we did on the end. What i would probably do(assuming i had start from where the model is at now) was do some splits from the top. In this case you would almost seem like a fillet surface(cant remember if thats what inventor calls it) would be best. Basically instead of a start and end curve for lofts you select a boundary in which you can apply face tangency to.

Hi Matt, thanks for your speedy reply.

Oh right, I didnt think it would be easier before the fillet, its things like that, and the method/order of working I still do stuggle with on Inventor.

Im all ears to the best way and in what order I should draw/construct this model so just advice me and I will do it :).

J

• 3 weeks later...

... I just got back from my Hols...

Well done Josh, it's looking great. Shift1313 Instructions are really good! - Now, where can I buy a bar of that Chocolate, it looks delicious. Come to think of it - where can I get a job designing Chocolate moulds!