photometric lights

lhg07

I'm rendering in 3ds max and every time I use photometric lights, the image renders all black. Everytime I render with standard lights, its lit. I would rather use the photometric so I was wondering if I am missing some setting to make them show?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lhg07

• Cad64

• papagyi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even in a new file? I thought this problem was related to your imported CAD file?

Photometric lights cast light a specified distance which is based on the intensity of the light. The light starts to decay as soon as it leaves the source, so you may need to increase the intensity in order to see it. Try putting the light right up next to a surface and render. You should see at least a small glow on the surface.

Also, when you create the Photometric light, are you clicking "Yes" when asked if you want to use "mr Photographic Exposure Control"? It's important that you click "Yes" when the message appears.

You also need to choose an Exposure Preset in the "Environment" dialog, based on whether you're doing an indoor or outdoor render and whether you're doing a daytime or nighttime render. Choose the preset that works best for your render.

I tried creating a new file to link and made sure that I set the preset to "saved autoCAD file" and it just started working. However, I can't get the photometric lights to work properly :( why is this so diffucult?!!?:ouch:

It shouldn't. Both versions of Max share the same core technology.

I really don't understand why you're having so much trouble with this?

Did you do everything I mentioned in my previous posts?

how do I gt to the environment and effects settings?

Rendering menu > Environment

Or just hit the number 8 key on your keyboard. That's the 8 key on the keyboard, not the keypad.

It doesn't show lights in my viewports. It only shows lights when I render.

Hold down your Shift key and then hit the "L" key. This will toggle the display of your lights on and off.

The link is not working. Can you post your image here in the forum?

So if you open a new file, create a flat plane and add a photometric light with the settings I suggested, your render comes out black?

I don't know what else to tell you.

Have you tried re-installing the program?

I don't think it is the program. Before I link in my CAD file, I tried making a cube and playing with photometric lights. It works exactly like the picture you posted. Then I link in my file and the lights don't work. It's got to be something with my CAD file? I did the AUDIT and it said there were no errors. I'm out of ideas.

24066_1279946514713_1111530101_30712399_1367394_n.jpg

This photo is the best lighting that I can seem to get. It's just a standard omni light. No photometrics will work at all. I don't know what else to use...I need spots, daylighting, uplighting... I'm so screwed :unsure:

photo.php?pid=31069446&id=1111530101

I'm sure it's easier, but I don't know how to model in max. I only learned how to model in CAD and render it in max. I just don't have the time to learn...my project is due in a month.