Remove the space from a text

Sweety

A very great words .

I would keep them in mind all the time while asking for any help from anyone .

Thank you so much for your positive efforts with me.

Greatly appreciated Mr. Alanjt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• alanjt

• Michaels

• Sweety

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A person is only as stupid as they allow themselves to be.

To realize one's own stupidity, without the inherent luxury of seeing one's self through a prism of wisdom, is a daunting task at best.

While I greatly value knowledge, it is wisdom that I seek.

Are you saying stupid is as stupid does?
Six in one' date=' half a dozen in the other, Forrest.

A very great words .

I would keep them in mind all the time while asking for any help from anyone .

Thank you so much for your positive efforts with me.

Greatly appreciated Mr. Alanjt

Welcome. :)

To realize one's own stupidity, without the inherent luxury of seeing one's self through a prism of wisdom, is a daunting task at best.

While I greatly value knowledge, it is wisdom that I seek.

Stupid is a relative term. Meaning, if a person doesn't put forth the effort, nothing will be accomplished. I understand that some just can't comprehend, but no one could if they didn't at least make an attempt.

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken = scraping bits of code together doesn't make you a programmer.

Edited by alanjt
TYPO

BTW, I really like the repeat from the string length idea, Lee.

Thanks Alan :)

However, why'd you worry with converting the string to an ascii character when (eq s " ") would have sufficed?

Because, I thought it'd be quicker than (substr s 1 1) :) Just taking advantage of the fact that:

(ascii "abc")  <==>  (ascii (substr "abc" 1 1))

Looking back on it now, the quickest thing would probably be set a variable to (substr s 1 1), test it, then concatenate it to the end of output 'o'. Oh well, I'm happy.

BTW thanks for making me look back at my sub, just realised I don't need the 'i' argument in the nospace sub - was going to go a different route when I wrote it. Code updated.

Stupid is a relative term. Meaning, if a person doesn't put forth the effort, nothing will be accomplished. I understand that some just can't comprehend, but no one could if they didn't at least make an attempt.

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken = scraping bits of code together doesn't make your a programmer.

Agreed... I was simply sharing what this stale fortune cookie on my desk said. I'm hungry. :P

Thanks Alan :)

Because, I thought it'd be quicker than (substr s 1 1) :) Just taking advantage of the fact that:

(ascii "abc")  <==>  (ascii (substr "abc" 1 1))

Looking back on it now, the quickest thing would probably be set a variable to (substr s 1 1), test it, then concatenate it to the end of output 'o'. Oh well, I'm happy.

BTW thanks for making me look back at my sub, just realised I don't need the 'i' argument in the nospace sub - was going to go a different route when I wrote it. Code updated.

Interesting idea. However, I would have stored it as a variable. Any speed you gained from the ascii check (is faster), you lost when you used (substr s 1 1) to keep the string.

BTW, did you see my recursive submission?

Interesting idea. However, I would have stored it as a variable. Any speed you gained from the ascii check (is faster), you lost when you used (substr s 1 1) to keep the string.

Exactly :)

BTW, did you see my recursive submission?

Yeah, nice one :) - although I suppose with recursion you sacrifice speed for elegance :)

Exactly :)

Yeah, nice one :) - although I suppose with recursion you sacrifice speed for elegance :)

Yeah, sadly, that's the case for this situation, but as you said, it was for the sake of a Vanilla challenge. I'm sticking with the vl-remove way - much faster.

FYI Mat, if you are going to edit entities as vla-objects, it's faster to use vla-get-activeselectionset than to step through the selectionset and convert to vla-objects.

Dually noted.

For kicks, here's another option (does the same thing), using Alan's suggestion:

(defun c:FOO  (/ ss s)
 (vl-load-com)
 (vla-startundomark
   (cond (*activeDoc*)
         ((setq *activeDoc*
                 (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))))))
 (if (setq ss (ssget '((0 . "TEXT,MTEXT"))))
   (progn
     (vlax-for x (setq ss (vla-get-activeselectionset *activeDoc*))
       (setq s (vla-get-textstring x))
        (while (vl-string-search " " s)
          (setq s (vl-string-subst "" " " s)))
        (vla-put-textstring x s))
     (vla-delete ss)))
 (vla-endundomark *activeDoc*)
 (princ))

(defun c:rt (/ ds_txt str pst )
   (setq ds_txt (entget (car (entsel "\nSeect Text: ")))
  str (cdr (assoc 1 ds_txt)))

(while (setq pst (vl-string-search " " str))
    (setq str (strcat (substr str 1 pst)(substr str (+ pst 2))))
   )
   (entmod (subst (cons 1 str)(assoc 1 ds_txt) ds_txt))
 )

Mind if i join in... without looking at the previous posts

this is how i code it.. i'm trying to create one without vl like Lee Mac.. i'm getting there.. :).. making it short as possible..

Look into vl-string-subst pBe :)

I think if you are looking for both speed and concision, the vl-remove method is the way to go - also, this will work on Text, MText, Attributes, and MLeaders:

(defun c:test ( / e ) (vl-load-com)

(while (setq e (car (nentsel)))
   (if (vlax-property-available-p (setq o (vlax-ename->vla-object e)) 'TextString)
     (vla-put-TextString o (vl-list->string (vl-remove 32 (vl-string->list (vla-get-TextString o)))))
   )
 )

(princ)
)

I think if you are looking for both speed and concision, the vl-remove method is the way to go - also, this will work on Text, MText, Attributes, and MLeaders:

I tried it, works like a charm.. its like 4 in1 function :)

Thanks to you guys my programing skills have improved a lot

I tried it, works like a charm.. its like 4 in1 function :)

Thanks to you guys my programing skills have improved a lot

You're very welcome - it was pretty much exactly the same for us guys - we mostly learnt what we know from these forums also...

(defun c:test ( / e ) (vl-load-com)
 (while (setq e (car (nentsel)))
   (if (vlax-property-available-p (setq o (vlax-ename->vla-object e)) 'TextString)
     (vla-put-TextString o (vl-list->string ([b][color="red"]vl-remove 32[/color][/b] (vl-string->list (vla-get-TextString o)))))
   )  )
 (princ)
)

Hello Lee,

What is the number 32 indicates to into your routine (is it the free space indication) ?

Thanks

What is the number 32 indicates to into your routine (is it the free space indication) ?

Hi Michaels,

Read the VLIDE Help Docs on the vl-string->list function, then you tell me :)